Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ssze
Helper II
Helper II

Date format in slicer (to show dd/mm/yyyy)

Hi all!

It seems like a topic that has been asked so many times but i haven't been able to get it to work yet unfortunately!

I have on my powerBI desktop a daterange slicer which displays in the dd/mm/yyyy format perfectly.

ssze_0-1599074021191.png

once published though the slicer date reverts back to the mm/dd/yyyy format again.

ssze_1-1599074066618.png

I have tried changing the actual data format

ssze_2-1599074185714.png

and the computer location setting (date time and regional settings) seems correct

ssze_3-1599074255725.png

and lastly my chrome setting is also set to the dd/mm/yyyy way as well

ssze_4-1599074326238.png

what else can I try? Have tried to trawl through community posts and responses already.

thanks in advance!

Silvia

15 REPLIES 15
JonathanSpencer

None of the suggestions worked as above, Our report is sitting in a workspace on PBI Web version, Please point me to the thread where I can request a change.

j_kee
Regular Visitor

Even after all this time, this issue persists.

I have a nagging feeling this is nothing but a bug. The "Between" setting of a date slicer appears to not respect the format of the field, whereas the "Dropdown" setting does.

It is seriously annoying that Micosoft doesn't support people using English as their professional language while still preferring to adhere to local culture. The ambiguity stemming from "what do you mean by 3/2 2024?" is just too big a problem to be ignored for this long.

JesperHededam

It's really not a solution to have to fiddle with region settings. A solution was for the application (Power BI) to accept a given format and stick to that.

mcc1
Regular Visitor

Hello, 

Did somebody find a solution? I have the same problem and already saw all the suggested above and the format is still mm-dd-yy

Swati20
Frequent Visitor

Hey, 
Did you find any solution? 
As changing the language settings in browser will work for me only and not for others untill they also change their language settings. And I can't ask each any every user to change their browser settings.

JamesBowdidge
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I know this is old, but you ever get this resolved I have the same issue.. all settign correct.. but published slicer date format mm/dd/yyyy..

thanks

J

Hello,

I've managed to resolve this on my end by changing the Chrome language settings, then removing English(United States) from preferred languages.

SamPo_1-1698988122782.png

Hope that helps

FrankAT
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @ssze 

1. Open Model view and select the date column.
  2. Open Properties pane and change the data type to Custom.
  3. Your format should read: dd\/mm\/yyyy.

In some resons the slicer doesn't reflect the new format. In this case delete the existing slicer and create it new.

With kind regards from the town where the legend of the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin' is at home
FrankAT (Proud to be a Datanaut)

Thank you! But also still no 😞

The column is already in the Date type and date format you recommended.

I also deleted the slicers and then reinserted again.

Any other suggestions? 🙂

ssze_0-1599091925098.png

Hi @ssze ,

When you view the report in Power BI service, the slicer date formats decided by browser language. Would you please change the language of chrome by:https://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/features/how-to-change-language-in-google-chrome-1871519 For IE, please refer to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/how-to-change-language-internet-explorer-...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

That's really not helpful when you want to have english as the language of your windows, application, browser etc, but you want a sensible date format like yyyy-MM-dd and not be forced based on region settings.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ssze - What about your Windows 10 regional setting?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

hi @

I went here:

ssze_1-1599076488211.png

and checked:

ssze_0-1599076420804.png

is this the one you are referring to?

Check once your PBI desktop  file's regional setting:

Go to File > Options > Options and settings > Current File >Regional Settings.

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

This one is also already in NZ too - i also tried UK but still same when published. 😣

ssze_0-1599080541872.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.