Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date format conversion Issue

Hi All,

My Excel has Date format in the form of MM/DD/YYYY , When i import excel in Power BI Desktop, Date gets converted to DD/MM/YYYY.

I have used "Locale" setting in my desktop as English (United States), which means Date should remain in MM/DD/YYYY format in PBI Desktop as well.

I have an understanding that English (United States), supports MM/DD/YYYY format. (Please correct if this is wrong).

Which locale setting should i use for MM/DD/YYYY format in PBI Desktop. 

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

My Excel has Date format in the form of MM/DD/YYYY , When i import excel in Power BI Desktop, Date gets converted to DD/MM/YYYY.

I doubt it is not a valid date type in excel. The "dates" located left most in a cell are actually not date, while the right part are.

Capture.PNG

Based om my test, the valid dates(B column) are never affected by locale. While the the A column are predicated differently according to locale. You can remove the applied change type step and change the A to a date via locale in query editor.

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

I doubt it is not a valid date type in excel. The "dates" located left most in a cell are actually not date, while the right part are.

Capture.PNG

Based om my test, the valid dates(B column) are never affected by locale. While the the A column are predicated differently according to locale. You can remove the applied change type step and change the A to a date via locale in query editor.

Capture.PNG

KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

That does sound odd. Is Power BI converting only the formatting? If you manually adjust the formatting back to MM/DD/YYYY does it give you any issues? Making sure it's not somehow converting the number itself. Can you tell that the data type is Date and not Text or something else?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.