Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

metricsman
Helper I
Helper I

Date format changing desktop to web

I have a dashboard that when publishing to web the format of the date in the slider changes. 

Example on desktop:

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 1.19.59 PM.png

The date is in "uk' format, DD/MM/YYYY

but when published the same slider shows in USA format when acessing it on the web:

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 1.25.16 PM.png

Strangely on both other formats such as list show "uk" format:

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 1.30.53 PM.png

The original date is of the format YYYY-MM-DD, ie 2017-01-31 which is "transformed" on input using locale (uk).  Modelling setting then used to get the required display format.

Seems strange that on the web, list is UK format, select between/before/after is USA format, any ideas ?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JonBaylis
Advocate III
Advocate III

CC: @WillT 

Hi all,

Fixed it!!!! - Well my DBA colleague found the solution.

The reason it was working for some users and not others is the following:

When a user had their default language set to English UK then their language setting in Power BI would remain unset.
When a user had their default language set to English US then their language setting in Power BI would get set to English.

(This is why we had some users working properly)

There appears to have been an update on the Power BI Service recently that allows you to set the language setting to respect the browser settings again.

(This was not the case earlier this year http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Language-Settings-Power-BI-Cannot-set-to-British-English/td-... )

This means, you can now correct your language in your browser and then setting the Power BI Service language to default and the issue should be fixed.

To do this:

Change your browser language to English (UK) (or relevant language).

IE: Set IE Default Language (same for IE 11)

Chrome: Set Chrome Default Language

Then, in the Power BI Service, under Settings > Language, set it to Default (browser language).

Choosing this means the dates in my reports are now in the correct format, DD/MM/YYYY. Smiley Happy

Thanks,
Jon

Twitter: @JonBaylis

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
paul_hancock
Regular Visitor

Excellent Work, ive been looking for a solution to this for ages 👍

skanord
Advocate II
Advocate II

I know this is an old post, but in case others are still struggling with this, i found a very simple solution!

When you select the date format in the ribbon, do not select the two first options called "short date" and "long date". These date formats changes when the report is published.

Instead choose one of the other options, where it explicitly states the format of the date, for example: (dd-mm-yyyy)

Skærmbillede 2022-09-09 154934.png

@skanord 

Fantastic

Thank you

thank you @skanord , this post was helpful

Thanks 

Thank you! This resolved the issue for me. Very informative. 

dan_duluard
Regular Visitor

This issue hasn't affected us until last week - early June 2021. Anyone else having trouble with date slider on Power Bi Server showing US-formatted mm/dd/yyyy dates instead of the UK-formatted dd/mm/yyyy ones I have formatted in Desktop?
I've double-checked data/date formats, toggling between types. Also tried browser language settings and Power Bi Region settings, all to no avail.
   To be clear it only affects the slider/'Between' view of a date filter. Other views (eg Dropdown, List, etc) are OK and retain UK dd/mm/yyyy formatting from desktop to server.
   This feels like a reoccurence of the old problems shown in this chat from 2018/2017 and wondering if a recent update has caused it? Any clues, ideas, similar recent experiences all gratefully received.
Thanks

This is happening to me now, I thought it was just the browser had reverted back to US but ran through the steps changed language settings in Chrome to English UK then in Power Bi to browser default, this did not work so reset my browser to original settings and did the steps again. Still no joy some pages are UK but some are still US. Please help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

THIS IS ABSURD!!! How can the browser language define the date format being loaded via gateway??? Smiley Mad

My project is pt-BR, DD/MM/YYYY, but I share with a branch in China, thus the Power BI Service must be in English, which is MM/DD/YYYY. I cannot lock my browser and PBI Service in pt-BR, but my data must stay DD/MM/YYYY as it is in my pbix! Smiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley Mad

Hi , I'm sorry I don't find a solution despite any of your messages.

On my Desktop the date format is correct (ddmmyyyy) but on the webservice it becomes mmddyyyy, independantly from my regional settings, language etc.

On my computer regional language is French, on google chrome it is french as well, on PBI webservice it is set as default browser settings.

If I insert the ?language in the url it translates the interface but does not interfere with my date format.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I'm still having the issue in both IE and Chrome. I've set the browser language to UK, set the language in the Power BI portal to Default(Browser) but it is still showing US format rather than UK.

Help please 😞

zivhimmel
Resolver I
Resolver I

I've written an article summarizing how to deal with the date format in date slicers. Here it is:

https://superfarb.com/power-bi-customising-date-format/

JonBaylis
Advocate III
Advocate III

CC: @WillT 

Hi all,

Fixed it!!!! - Well my DBA colleague found the solution.

The reason it was working for some users and not others is the following:

When a user had their default language set to English UK then their language setting in Power BI would remain unset.
When a user had their default language set to English US then their language setting in Power BI would get set to English.

(This is why we had some users working properly)

There appears to have been an update on the Power BI Service recently that allows you to set the language setting to respect the browser settings again.

(This was not the case earlier this year http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Language-Settings-Power-BI-Cannot-set-to-British-English/td-... )

This means, you can now correct your language in your browser and then setting the Power BI Service language to default and the issue should be fixed.

To do this:

Change your browser language to English (UK) (or relevant language).

IE: Set IE Default Language (same for IE 11)

Chrome: Set Chrome Default Language

Then, in the Power BI Service, under Settings > Language, set it to Default (browser language).

Choosing this means the dates in my reports are now in the correct format, DD/MM/YYYY. Smiley Happy

Thanks,
Jon

Twitter: @JonBaylis

But changing browser language is not a solution and only the result of lack of understanding of international needs. Date formats do not follow traditional national languages. In business you often operate in American English but need your own time and date formats - especially the ISO date and time format, which any serious international organization should use.
You should always be able to chose that - also in the browser.

Thanks for this - I only just noticed this formatting issue and you already had a solution for me.  Cheers!

Hi what about powerbi embedded how we can make sure what regional settings are being used?  I am dealing with a problem that my computer settings are different to what my customers expect and at the same time, I want to avoid having to change settings in my pc. What happened is that all date pickers in the embedded application were showing my (polish) date formatting I tried to solve it in data model by changing the data type with locale set to danish but it didn't help.  

Thank you. It fixed the problem!

Worked for me. Thanks a lot!

JonBaylis
Advocate III
Advocate III

Nice one guys.

It seems there might be some issue at our office whereas......

I am in an AD Group called Power Users and it seems us Power Users are having a problem where our IE/Chrome browser is NOT recognising its default language (where you have just changed yours now) so it is not having an affect and I see the US format for my dates. A couple of users who aren't in the Power Users Group are having no issues in IE/Chrome.

I am being removed from the Power Users Group and will test again when back in the office on Thursday.

Glad it works for you all..... I hope this Power Users Group is my issue and I can get it sorted ASAP. On the road to rolling out Power BI Smiley Happy

Cheers

Jon

(Twitter > @JonBaylis)

JonBaylis
Advocate III
Advocate III

Found a 'solution' which works when viewing the report on your PC/laptop.

If you open the report in the Power BI Service which has the date format issue; go to the URL and add this at the end.

?language=en-GB

Hit enter on the URL and the dates all format to English (UK).

However, this is not feasible to do each and every time so hence not a long-term solution.

The guy next to me sees the correct UK date formats without the need of any amendments (but only in IE and not Chrome) so we are thinking it is down to some sort of setting on the PC itself, even though we seem to have the same settings in Control Panel.

Arghhhhhh!!! Power BI Admins - please help! 😞

Thanks,

Jon

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.