Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

metricsman
Helper I
Helper I

Date format changing desktop to web

I have a dashboard that when publishing to web the format of the date in the slider changes. 

Example on desktop:

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 1.19.59 PM.png

The date is in "uk' format, DD/MM/YYYY

but when published the same slider shows in USA format when acessing it on the web:

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 1.25.16 PM.png

Strangely on both other formats such as list show "uk" format:

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 1.30.53 PM.png

The original date is of the format YYYY-MM-DD, ie 2017-01-31 which is "transformed" on input using locale (uk).  Modelling setting then used to get the required display format.

Seems strange that on the web, list is UK format, select between/before/after is USA format, any ideas ?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JonBaylis
Advocate III
Advocate III

CC: @WillT 

Hi all,

Fixed it!!!! - Well my DBA colleague found the solution.

The reason it was working for some users and not others is the following:

When a user had their default language set to English UK then their language setting in Power BI would remain unset.
When a user had their default language set to English US then their language setting in Power BI would get set to English.

(This is why we had some users working properly)

There appears to have been an update on the Power BI Service recently that allows you to set the language setting to respect the browser settings again.

(This was not the case earlier this year http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Language-Settings-Power-BI-Cannot-set-to-British-English/td-... )

This means, you can now correct your language in your browser and then setting the Power BI Service language to default and the issue should be fixed.

To do this:

Change your browser language to English (UK) (or relevant language).

IE: Set IE Default Language (same for IE 11)

Chrome: Set Chrome Default Language

Then, in the Power BI Service, under Settings > Language, set it to Default (browser language).

Choosing this means the dates in my reports are now in the correct format, DD/MM/YYYY. Smiley Happy

Thanks,
Jon

Twitter: @JonBaylis

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

Thanks allot @JonBaylis

I tried chrome vs. IE now and you are correct. Which means that after 10 years I'm actually going to have to start using IE again.

That's fine, but telling my 35 users to do so might be painfull 🙂

Breaking news ! 

Following @JonBaylis findings, I've been able to solve the issue.

If you go to chrome settings, go to advanced settings and click on languages, 

just change from plain "English" to the flavour of english you are interested in(in my case New Zealand),

and choose for chrome to use it as its default language. Restart chrome and dates will show up according to your chosen language.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @metricsman,

I can't reproduce your issue, all of these date fields shows the "US" format.(I test on 2.42.4611.701 64-bit (January 2017))

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Can you share some detail content ?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi

Everything is okay in the desktop, it's when published that the slider changes date format although list view looks okay.

The machine using it on and viewing it once published is set to UK locale (system) and in powerbi desktop the locale is set to UK.

The data input is in the form:

2017-01-01

2017-12-31

which transposes correctly in the desktop due to the locale setting.

Wondering if there some form of locale setting on the web, the data location is UK though so would have though it would show UK primarly.

Many thanks for your help, is that above what you were asking for ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having exactly the same problem - is it something caused by the February update? I am sure that it used to work. The desktop shows correctly and all the regional settings that I can find are set to UK, but when I post to the web service the date slicer changes to US format.

Any help would be much appreciated please?

Steve

Same issue here unfortunately. Really annoying because we are in New Zealand, using the dd/mm/yyyy format, 

and users are forced to view it the American way.

For my non US friends here, where is your Power BI tenant located?  I have encountered issues where the locale settings for the hosting servers control some of these features, and said servers may not be in your locale.

Good point, @dkay84_PowerBI

I think in my case(New Zealand) we are hosted in Australia, so the format should still be the way I want it to be.

Hi,

Has anyone found a fix for this? I am having the same problem as well.

Thanks,

Jon

@JonBaylis

Same here. Didn't notice this till yesterday so perhaps it's a new bug.

s

Same here. Didn't notice this till yesterday so perhaps it's a new bug.

s

Hi @metricsman,

I reproduce the issue by modify the "Formats" setting at "Region". Based on test, it seems like the date records stored with a fixed format at service side. You can post this scenario to ideas.

In addition, you can also add a calculate column to transfer the date to text format. then use the new column as the date source of the slicer.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi

Great that you managed to reproduce it, I will definitely add it to ideas.

Could I check what you mean by "Format" setting at "Region" ? so I can detail the issue correctly.

I did try transferring the date to text format but then the silder doesn't provide the between/before/after functionality. As expected I think as it's not a date format and can't see a way to change the format once on the server.

Thanks again.

Hi @metricsman,

>>Could I check what you mean by "Format" setting at "Region" ? so I can detail the issue correctly.

It means the region panel of system setting.

Capture3.PNG

>>I did try transferring the date to text format but then the silder doesn't provide the between/before/after functionality. As expected I think as it's not a date format and can't see a way to change the format once on the server

Yes, If you transfer date type to text, the date range feature of slicer will be disabled, I also haven't found a solution to solve this issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.