Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gjadal
Employee
Employee

Date filter

What is the best practice to add From date and To Date filters on my report and default them to a week?

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@gjadal - Can you add a little detail to this, are you trying to default the selection to the current week?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Basically I want a from date control and a To date control where the user can pick dates to filter the data.

By default I want the dates to be 1 week apart.

I tried using the time slicer but that doesnt have weeks as an option and its not very elegant..

I don't know of any way to set a "default" period apart.  You could set a start date and a "number of weeks" slicer and set that to 1. Then the user could change it from 1 week to anything else. Just an idea. 

Or you could create 2 calendar tables, one for the FROM and one for the TO date. 

each table should have a single column that contains the week date you want, eg week commencing dates or week ending - what ever you want. 

don't join them to anything 

write 2 harvester measures to "harvest" what has been selected. 

From Date=max(FromCal[Date])

To Date = max(ToCal[Date])

write the a measure that reacts to the slicers. Something like this. 

total sales selected period =

CALCULATE (sum(Sales[qty]),

filter (Sales,

Sales[date] >= [From Date] &&

Sales[Date] <= [To Date]

)

)

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

The advanced filtering options allow you to choose a start and end date for any date field. A single date dimension will do. You can save any literal filter criteria with the report.

Filters.

Hi, my solution for the similar case:

I wanted to compare last 7 days with previous 7 days (not calendar week!).

For that in the Calendar table (dimdate), I have created calculated field with formula:

if(dimdate[Date]<TODAY() && dateadd(dimdate[Date],8,day)>TODAY(),

8-DATEDIFF(dimdate[Date],TODAY(),day),

if(dateadd(dimdate[Date],8,day)<=TODAY() && dateadd(dimdate[Date],15,day)>TODAY(),

8-(DATEDIFF(dimdate[Date],TODAY(),day)-7),

)

)

dd.jpg

It gave me a list of marked 14 days as on the picture.

After that I have created some Measure with filter for the Last 7 days:

MeasurePrevious7Days:=CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(ReportData[UserID]), filter(dimdate, dateadd(dimdate[Date],1,day)<=TODAY() && dateadd(dimdate[Date],8,day)>TODAY()))

and the same for Previous 7 days:

MeasurePrevious7Days:=CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(ReportData[UserID]), filter(dimdate, dateadd(dimdate[Date], 8, day) <=TODAY() && dateadd(dimdate[Date],15,day)>TODAY()))

It allow me to build PBI-report which shows 2 lines as comparison of last and previous 7 days, and I do not need to change Date filters on report or in the DAX formulas, they are in default calculated for periods of time, that I need. And these Dates change itself day by day.

Thanks for reading. 

I don't think there is one best way. How about using the date timeline slicer on you calendar date table and set it to weeks. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/visual-awesomeness-unlocked-the-timeline-slicer/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.