Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vitor_fontana
Regular Visitor

Date extraction and conversion

Hello everyone!

I was facing a lot of issue regarding DATE type on my Dashaboard and wasn't understanding why PowerBi was not returning to me the correct Date value, so I've made a test table to check how it was working with Date values and the same strange unkown issue happened. Follow below what I did (and really expect that some of you could explain to me why it happens):

I've just used TODAY(), MONTH(), FORMAT() expressions and some simple extractions from a Date column. My date settings are Brazilian Portuguese, so our Date pattern here is "dd-mm-yyyy".

I've created one table called TestDate;
First column: Today = TODAY()
Result: 01/06/2021 00:00:00

Second column: 
Month_Today = MONTH(TODAY())

Result: 6

Third column: 
Format_Month_Today = FORMAT(MONTH(TODAY()),"dd-mmmm-yyyy")

Result: 05-janeiro-1900

Fourth column: ExtractFromTable = 'TestDate'[Today].[Month]
Result: June

Fifth columnFormat_From_extracted = FORMAT('TestDate'[Today].[Month], "mmm")
Result: June

vitor_fontana_0-1622569529716.png

My doubts regarding this are:
1. Why the third column show this date?
2. Why the fifth column is showing "June" instead of "Jun" as requested on FORMAT?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

1. The code is sending the number 6 to be formatted as a date so that's 6 days after the last day of 1899 in numeric powerbi dates, which equals 5th January 1900

2.  "mmm" formats a date but it's not getting a date, it's getting either a month name or a number (not sure) from the inbuilt powerbi date table with [.Month] so it's probably just returning the month name

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
vitor_fontana
Regular Visitor

Thanks for answering HotChilli, it explains why it's happening! Thanks a lot!
I'll look for a way to correct convert numbers to apply it correctly to my formulas.  😉

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

1. The code is sending the number 6 to be formatted as a date so that's 6 days after the last day of 1899 in numeric powerbi dates, which equals 5th January 1900

2.  "mmm" formats a date but it's not getting a date, it's getting either a month name or a number (not sure) from the inbuilt powerbi date table with [.Month] so it's probably just returning the month name

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors