Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date displays incorrectly from Excel

I see someone else posting this same issue but no responses... 

I'm trying to pull in an excel file to play with Power BI and having trouble with something pretty basic. The Date column in my data isn't displaying correctly in the query. All of the dates show as 2011 and 1 day prior to what the date field in Excel shows.

Pic attached shows my data source and what it looks like in Power BI. I'm formatting my dates various ways in excel but dd/mm/yyyy is the default and that is what the default shows in Power BI too. (for the screen shot I had formatted it

I'm stumped.

Excel Data.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
Brian_M
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Are you able to copy out just the date column into a new excel file and replicate the issue? If so, could you share the Excel file up on OneDrive / dropbox so we can take a look?

I've tried manually entering the data in your screenshot but can't replicate what you see.

enako

I am facing the same issue. Did anyone founded a workaround or fix for this. I am on the last version of Power BI

enako

I am facing the same issue. Did anyone founded a workaround or fix for this. I am on the last version of Power BI

koeniecom
Regular Visitor

I think it's not the source (Excel) that causes the problem: I have the same. Source = SharePoint Online. Alle dates are one day before the date in the source...

ALeef
Advocate III
Advocate III

I would check your date formatting in excel is actually of "date" type.  Lots of times, excel will make it a custom format to match your inputted formatting.  Excel stores dates in a "number" format, so its often hard to translate properly when pulling into PowerBI.  I'd bet that the one day prior is based on your Excel date having a non time-zone compatible stamp, and PowerBI interpreting it as 12 midnight on June 1st, with a time zone adjustment of negative ___ hours, thus showing a day earlier.

Try formatting your date in Excel as one of the date types with an * in front of it, making sure they translate correctly in excel, and then reimporting to PowerBI, again formatting it as a Date (not Date/Time) field, that has the * in front of it. 

I'm not 100% on it, but it might help.

Out of interest if the dates in both excel and Power BI and converted to numbers. What happens

Do you get the same dates?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.