Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bestefa01
Regular Visitor

Date data by categories - across multiple categories

Hi all

New user here, and I would like to request advice on how to organize my data.   I have two tables (from excel): First table is investment level by date across certain bank accounts:

Table1Table1

Second table are the categories I want to be able to select and visualize across:

Table 2Table 2

I'm really struggling with how to organize the data into the categories in Table 2.

My first attempt was to just use Table 1, and I used measures to create different categories - so for example a "Liquid" measure which summed the first two columns.  And also an "Equity" measure which summed all of the Equity columns.  But it didn't seem to work well - when I clicked on Equity on one viz tabel it did not flow through to the other cuts of data I did.

With all the flexibility of PBI, I'm not sure how best to organize: should I use grouping, measures, new calculated columns, data relationships across these two tables, or something else? 

ta!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @bestefa01  ,

You probably want to unpivot the Table1 columns to be able to show all in one visual:

> Go to "Edit Queries"

> Select all columns in Table1 except for Dates
> Go to "Transform" Tab
> Select "Unpivot Columns"

Hope that helps,
Robin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @bestefa01  ,

You probably want to unpivot the Table1 columns to be able to show all in one visual:

> Go to "Edit Queries"

> Select all columns in Table1 except for Dates
> Go to "Transform" Tab
> Select "Unpivot Columns"

Hope that helps,
Robin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.