Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

srdjanmish
Helper I
Helper I

Date calculation - empty fields

Hi guys...

I have a situation, a problem. I have a Dataset, created from dataflows, that has table (table name: DataTable1) with 2 date fields. One field is for document date, and the other is for Due date, for payment.

1. I created table "Calendar", with calendar function, and joined it with field "Document date".

2. I created a report with date slicer (Calendar date)

3. In table calendar, added: Max selected date = CALCULATE(MAX('Calendar'[Date]),ALLSELECTED('Calendar'))

Q: I need to calculate a column that is difference beween "Max selected date" and date in column "Due date". I tried with:

MeasureDifference = DATEDIFF(MAX('Datatable1'[DueDate]),'Calendar'[Max selected date],DAY). The Idea is to have value that shows how many days have passed from DueDate until max selected date...

I got results that are correct, but for some rows, result is EMPTY (no value). I know there are problems with dataflows and date formats, I experienced that, and changed cols in dataformat TEXT, and it corrected historical problems, but in this case, it is not working...

Anyone had similar problem, or maybe I can get needed value in different way?

Thanks in advanced..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @srdjanmish ,

The reason for the blank value is that your dateslicer also filters the original table. Please refer to the measure below:

MeasureDifference =
VAR MaxSelectedDate =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Calendar'[Date] ), ALLSELECTED ( 'Calendar' ) )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        DATEDIFF ( MAX ( 'Datatable1'[DueDate] ), MaxSelectedDate, DAY ),
        CROSSFILTER ( 'Datatable1'[Document date], 'Calendar'[Date], NONE )
    )

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@srdjanmish , Try like

MeasureDifference =
Var _max =MAXX(ALLSELECTED('Calendar'),'Calendar'[Date]))
return
DATEDIFF(MAX('Datatable1'[DueDate]),_max,DAY)

You need to force a row context too for grand total refer

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Decoding-Direct-Query-in-Power-BI-Part-2-Date-Differ...

This is not good... I need result for each row in DataTable1, difference between Max selected date and DueDate. With this calculation, I get Max(DueDate) and Max selected date difference...

Grand total does not matter, it is not needed...

Sorry, I tried as a column (without MAX on columnd DueDate), and as a measure (with MAX)...

As a measure, it shows good value, but still, on number of rows i get blank value, and DueDate exists...

Image:

2020-06-29 09_48_51-Window.png

Hi @srdjanmish ,

The reason for the blank value is that your dateslicer also filters the original table. Please refer to the measure below:

MeasureDifference =
VAR MaxSelectedDate =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Calendar'[Date] ), ALLSELECTED ( 'Calendar' ) )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        DATEDIFF ( MAX ( 'Datatable1'[DueDate] ), MaxSelectedDate, DAY ),
        CROSSFILTER ( 'Datatable1'[Document date], 'Calendar'[Date], NONE )
    )

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Thx @v-deddai1-msft ,

Somewhere in back of my brain i was aware of that filter rule, but, did not use that part of brain, obviously...

Thx again, problem solved, and solution accepted...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.