Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date bucket with text value and sorting column in Matrix

Hi all,

I've been trying to implement a solution to no avail. Your brilliant suggestions are appreciated.

I am using the latest PBI Desktop in direct query mode. I have a column called "Week Due Bucket" where all dates before a certain day are lumped into a field called "Past Due" and any dates in the future use their literal date, based on the Sunday of that week. I had to create a text column in order to store "past due" in the same column as the dates. I can't use FORMAT with DQ, so I had to do:

Week Due String = LEFT('Date'[DateKey] - WEEKDAY('Date'[DateKey], 1)+1, 11) (This just pulls the Sunday for the week in which it was due, and the date looks like Jan 21 2019 as pictured.

Week Due Bucket = IF([This Week] > [Week Due], "Past Due", [Week Due String])

Week Due Order = IF('Date'[Week Due Bucket] = "Past Due", 0, WEEKNUM('Date'[Week Due Bucket], 1)

I'm displaying in a Matrix in two ways as seen in attached photos. My issue that 1) I'd like the date to look like 1/1/2019 and still maintain the "Past Due" text value bucket, and 2) I'd like to be able to sort these chronologically. I tried to sort week due bucket by week due order, and got this error:
srterr.PNG

Matrix visual preview, Week Due Bucket as column, unsortable:

matrix view 2.PNG

weeksortpbi.PNG

matrixview1.PNG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

As you are using Direct query, So you should edit your data in the data source to change the data type. Here we cannot change the sort in Power BI side directly. Or we can import the data and edit the data model in PQ to achieve our goal.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

As you are using Direct query, So you should edit your data in the data source to change the data type. Here we cannot change the sort in Power BI side directly. Or we can import the data and edit the data model in PQ to achieve our goal.

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @Anonymous,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Frank

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.