Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

raulallas
Frequent Visitor

Date and User based RLS

I am trying to have a report that would automatically restrict access to users if their valid to date has expired.

As the base for secuirity i have a 3 column table. 

raulallas_0-1596698356375.png

The User and ValidToDate column are imported from an independent source and AccessColumn is conditional on the ValidToDate column. 1 being good to go and 0 being no access.

raulallas_1-1596698484186.png

I have the role Viewer set up to check if the AccessColumn value is 1 and the user is listed. If both conditions are filled it should grant access. But my problem is that i can't get it to work. It seems to be stuck in the open position for all the users.

Any tips would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@raulallas 

What do you mean by can't get it work and stuck in the open position for all the users? Can you explain it more.

"If both conditions are filled it should grant access. " I don't really get that sense or I misunderstood. In your sample, RLS checks users account name and the Valid to date, if both matches the viewer should only see the rows that matches the conditions. In you case, viewers should see nothing. 

Please refer to the doc for how to get RLS work: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls#:~:text=Row-level%20security%20%28....

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@raulallas 

What do you mean by can't get it work and stuck in the open position for all the users? Can you explain it more.

"If both conditions are filled it should grant access. " I don't really get that sense or I misunderstood. In your sample, RLS checks users account name and the Valid to date, if both matches the viewer should only see the rows that matches the conditions. In you case, viewers should see nothing. 

Please refer to the doc for how to get RLS work: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls#:~:text=Row-level%20security%20%28....

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@raulallas , I Need to try out something and check. refer to this video. It has explained RLS in detail.

Hey @amitchandak !

Thanks for the video, but i think you forgot to link it :D!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.