Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date Time is showing as hierarchy

Hi All

I am using a direct query, source is Oracle database and the connection to the data base is ODBC. My query results show date as datetime (which is what i want to see in the report),but when i come to the canvas and add it to the table it adds all the hierarchy (no idea where it came from). Is there a way to just add the date ? Please see the below screen shots.

Capturedate622.PNGCapturevisual622.PNG

Please advice.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous turn off auto date/time under options, basically Power Bi creates a hidden table for each date column and once you drop a date column on any visual, it brings the hierarchy from hidden tables. It is a best practice to turn off auto date/time because it increases the size of models as Power BI will add a hidden calendar for each date column. As a best practice, add date dimension in your model and use it for and time intelligence calculations. Once the date dimension is added, mark it as a date table on table tools.

https://perytus.com/2020/05/22/create-a-basic-date-table-in-your-data-model-for-time-intelligence-calculations/

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

It's a principle of Date column if you wanna get rid off the hierarchy so follow the below steps:

Step 1:  Take table visual and drag your datetime column.

Step 2: Then click on the Datetime Column name just below Visualization Pane (Data option) and select the your Datetime column by deselect the "Date Hierarchy" option.

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous turn off auto date/time under options, basically Power Bi creates a hidden table for each date column and once you drop a date column on any visual, it brings the hierarchy from hidden tables. It is a best practice to turn off auto date/time because it increases the size of models as Power BI will add a hidden calendar for each date column. As a best practice, add date dimension in your model and use it for and time intelligence calculations. Once the date dimension is added, mark it as a date table on table tools.

https://perytus.com/2020/05/22/create-a-basic-date-table-in-your-data-model-for-time-intelligence-calculations/

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @parry2k . I do not need a date table. Its just a simple query which shows customers booking date nothing fancy , so the link you posted is not useful.  Yes i unchecked the box in the options and still it throws out the hierarchy.

Refer the  below  thread to get your answer:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-remove-Date-Hierarchy/td-p/647711#:~:text=Re:%20How%....

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tahreem24 @parry2k  Thanks a lot!

It's a principle of Date column if you wanna get rid off the hierarchy so follow the below steps:

Step 1:  Take table visual and drag your datetime column.

Step 2: Then click on the Datetime Column name just below Visualization Pane (Data option) and select the your Datetime column by deselect the "Date Hierarchy" option.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.