Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adamnimmo
Helper I
Helper I

Date/Time Intelligence Formula

I am trying to write a filter for a [Due Date] column within my dataset, I have a [DateKey] for a date heirarchy listing. My goal is to determine a few things,

If Due Date is less than Today() = 'Past Due'

If Due Date equals Today() = 'Due Now'
If Due Date is greater than Today() but not greater than itself = 'Upcoming'

Example

Due Date     Status
10/1/2017    Past Due
10/31/2017   Upcoming
10/25/2017   Due Now
10/20/2017   Past Due
12/31/2017   

Ultimately I am attempting to filter/show only relevant date pre-due date within my visual and exclude anything beyond a due date. I know this can be achieved within a slicer however being that I have multiple orders I am looking at, a slicer isn't really an option.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think I have finally figured out a solution, what I ended up doing was creating an IF measure which determined if my receive date was greater than my ship date it would return "1". After which I then created new IF measures for each of my values which referenced my shipping measure and if a 1 was present it would be blank, otherwise it would display it's data.

The matrix visual seems intelligent enough to then omit those blank rows thus not displaying unwanted data. 

Thank you all for your help, I couldn't of got here without you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@adamnimmo you can create a calculated column with a switch statement and then filter by your values

i.e 

filter =
SWITCH (
duedate < TODAY (), "Past Due",

duedate = TODAY (),"Due Now",

duedate > today, "Upcoming"
)

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks @vanessafvg 

Anytips on how I could also filter out that which is beyond the due date?

Essentially this

If Due Date is greater than Due Date = 'Not Due'

I have been racking my brain looking for a solution, but with no anchor point to compare I am a bit lost.

@adamnimmo i am a bit confused how can it be > than itsself, or is it 2 different fields?  what defines the due date and how can it be greater than itself.?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

@vanessafvg My due date is pre-determined by order numbers, my ultimate goal here is to report all current open orders and then using a matrix visual display items specific to each order, the complication is with the items being rather common and shared across multiple orders and the due date is the only point which really determines if those items should be listed or not.

I am certainly open to trying anything or researching a different way to approach the problem. I am also share test data, however I am not able to share the real pbix/dataset as the information is company owned.

@adamnimmo the question i am asking though is how will you identify if a due date > than itself, what do you have to compare, what are you comparing it against?  you need some sort of indicator, without seeing data or dummy data,its hard to understand how this condition can be crafted

Here is an example set of data, I shrunk the views down for this. Basicially when you drill into an order number it will show an equipment model, then it will show the incoming items for the order. I am wanting to exclude anything that is 'Receiving' after the 'Ship' date. 

example.pbix

I think I have finally figured out a solution, what I ended up doing was creating an IF measure which determined if my receive date was greater than my ship date it would return "1". After which I then created new IF measures for each of my values which referenced my shipping measure and if a 1 was present it would be blank, otherwise it would display it's data.

The matrix visual seems intelligent enough to then omit those blank rows thus not displaying unwanted data. 

Thank you all for your help, I couldn't of got here without you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.