Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date / Time Formatting

Hi, 

I have a dataset with various information. Each data point is associated with a particular date and time. 

I am trying to construct a Bar Chart with a trend so that I can show what is happening on a monthly basis. 

I understand that in order to include a trendline the data needs to e continuos. But as you can see in the screenshot it's not very readable and the Y-Axis has something wrong. I think what is happening is that it is not grouping all data points that happened in one day. Instead, it displays all data times at the different times they occurred on that particular day. Is there any way of grouping data in a day whilst it's continuos? Could I transform the data into text and eliminate the hour/time part of each data point from "Data" instead of making adjustments on the report? 

Thanks in advance. 

vradley_0-1599578416896.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous  Why dont you great a group bin of months like below. You should be able to create monthly bar chart with a trendline.

negi007_1-1599824962068.png

negi007_0-1599824781218.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , where is the line.  You can make categorical. There is an option for bar width in format. check that out

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak 

I changed the question as I think there is another outstanding issue. If I change it to cateogrical it will display all data points. Do you know how to group them in each day? 

vradley_0-1599580049907.png

@Anonymous - You would have to build a hierarchy of Day and then your Date/Time stamp?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler  with a hierarchy it works but then I can't put a trendline. 

@Anonymous  Why dont you great a group bin of months like below. You should be able to create monthly bar chart with a trendline.

negi007_1-1599824962068.png

negi007_0-1599824781218.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.