Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jamalq123
Helper II
Helper II

Date Table source changes

When  I started working in power bi, I simply made a link from excel to make the date table. Please find below the M Language which I took from advanced Editor

let
Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("D:\Jamal Qamar DATA\Data\Geo\FPC Rating and Program wise revenue\rating cy17.xlsx"), null, true),
dDate_Sheet = Source{[Item="dDate",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(dDate_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Date", type date}, {"Month", Int64.Type}, {"Month name", type text}, {"Year ", Int64.Type}, {"Month Year", type text}})
in
#"Changed Type"

Now I want to use Calendar option i.e. "dDate1 = CALENDAR(DATE(2015,1,1),MAX('Consolidated Data'[Day]))" inspite of the old method.

Please guide me to resolve the issue, In the old method I have to update the excel file time to time, whereas in the c aledar option this is very easy to use and not to update the table.

Regards,

Jamal Qamar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Jamal,

I found a way to replace the code directly.  You can check it out in this file.

1. Create a function. (I found the M code here). 

let CreateDateTable = (StartDate as date, EndDate as date, optional Culture as nullable text) as table =>
  let
    DayCount = Duration.Days(Duration.From(EndDate - StartDate)),
    Source = List.Dates(StartDate,DayCount,#duration(1,0,0,0)),
    TableFromList = Table.FromList(Source, Splitter.SplitByNothing()),    
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(TableFromList,{{"Column1", type date}}),
    RenamedColumns = Table.RenameColumns(ChangedType,{{"Column1", "Date"}}),
    InsertMonth = Table.AddColumn(RenamedColumns, "Month", each Date.Month([Date])),
    InsertMonthName = Table.AddColumn(InsertMonth, "Month Name", each Date.ToText([Date], "MMMM", Culture), type text),
    InsertYear = Table.AddColumn(InsertMonthName, "Year", each Date.Year([Date])),
    InsertQuarter = Table.AddColumn(InsertYear, "Month Year", each Date.QuarterOfYear([Date]))

in
    InsertQuarter
in
  CreateDateTable

2. Replace the M code of the query dDate with the following one.

let
    maxDate = List.Max(#"Consolidated Data"[Column1]), //Max date of another query, which makes this query dynamic.
    Source = Query(#date(2018, 2, 1), maxDate, null)
in
    Source

3. Apply the changes.

Note: If the data you shared is a sample, you need to adjust the code to satisfy your data. The structure and the column names should be the same.

Now you can get rid of the workbook file.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.