Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Baarathi88
Helper III
Helper III

Date Slider for months

Is it possible in Power BI to create a slider based on Date field in month-year format.

For Example : Jan-2019, Feb-2019, Mar-2019, etc.

Is it possible to have varchar type of data in slider ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Baarathi88 ,

According to my understanding ,you want to change the slicer's display type,right?

For my test, this is not available currently because the data type of "month-year" is Text and could only be used with the List/Dropdown style. If the data type is "Date" ,then you could use the "Between" style.

8.PNG

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Baarathi88 ,

According to my understanding ,you want to change the slicer's display type,right?

For my test, this is not available currently because the data type of "month-year" is Text and could only be used with the List/Dropdown style. If the data type is "Date" ,then you could use the "Between" style.

8.PNG

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

@v-eqin-msft  Thank you. That's right. But trying to figure out a hack to overcome this and show the text in slider.

@Baarathi88 Sorry for not currently, maybe we could submit this idea to the power bi developers

Did I answer your question, please mark my reply as solution,thank you very much~

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Baarathi88 ,

According to my understanding ,you want to format slicer's date in “Month-Year”,right?

1.Firstly, you could change the format of the Date directly in Format tabs.

3.PNG

2.If you don't find what you want, then you could customize the data format and sort the value using the following formula:

month-year =
'De'[date].[Month] & "-" & 'De'[date].[Year]
sort by year-month column =
De[date].[Year] & "-" & De[date].[MonthNo]

My visualizations look like this:

sort.PNG

4.PNG

Is the result what you want? If not, please upload some data samples and expected output.
Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

@v-eqin-msft  Thank You.

But my condition is bit different, I want to to have the Jan-2019 in a date slider. Refer to below image

Baarathi88_0-1597035261065.png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Baarathi88 , If you are looking for between slicer, you have to try for timeline slicer

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104380786?tab=Overview

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Baarathi88 

you can create a custom column like

Slicer Column = FORMAT({date], "mmm") & "-" & YEAR([Date])

and use it as a slicer

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

@az38 Thank you.

But my condition is bit different, I want to to have the Jan-2019 in a date slider. Refer to below image

Baarathi88_0-1597034728608.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.