Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RGG
Frequent Visitor

Date Slider For Single Date - Not Range

I am trying to build the ability to see changes in my data over time.  While I know that this day-by-day filter would work as a slicer list, there are a ton of dates - so the list would be really long and not very user friendly.

Instead, I would like a filter timeline where the user can slide the tick mark left/right to select the date.  The left/right limits would be the first/last date of a specific filter data field.  I would like it to default to the "latest" date, but then the user could slide the tick mark to see the data based on a different single date.

Basically, I want the the same kind of slicer as the "between" option - but only want a single date AND only want the "tick stops" at the available dates.  So if I have dates of 10/1, 10/6, 10/11 - I don't want to have the tick stop at the dates in between.

Possible?

5 REPLIES 5
k-squared
Frequent Visitor

This is a bit of a hack but...

Step 1. Create a date slicer, then use the dropdown to select "Before" (make sure "Slicer header" is visible), this creates a set of dates that ends at a certain time. You could also select "After" but, in Step 3 below, you'll need to use "Bottom" instead of "Top". 

Date Selected.png

Step 2: Create a measure that selects distinct dates. For example, I defined mine as:

Distinct Dates = DISTINCT([MyDateField])

Step 3: Select the visual that we want to use a specific date on. Create a filter on the date field ([MyDateField] in my example) with the following settings:

"Filter type" = "Top N"

"Show items" = Top 1

"By value" = distinct date measure ("Distinct Dates" in my example)

One issue is the slicer's slider still shows a range of dates ending at your "Before" value but hopefully the users can get used to that. I haven't figured out a way to re-format that.

This solution worked for something I have been working on. Basically, created a date picker thanks to the wonderful Guy in a Cube video and needed to filter the corresponding data in the visuals to only the single value showing. Your solution worked. Thank you!

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RGG

I have read through your requirements. Currently, you could use date as a slicer,

with the "between" type, you could slide the tick mark left/right to select the date, but the first/last date should be items in the date column, it can't be change dynamically. you may use another slicer to change the date range in this slicer.(please note that, you need edit interaction on visuals of the same report page.)

As for the "tick stops" at the available dates, it is impossible currently.

You may add some ideas here to help improve power bi.

Best Regards

Maggie

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well, not a great solution but you could hack it with a line chart with categorical x-axis and turn on markers.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yeah, it doens't look like that functionality to use dates as a dimension for a slider exists within Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.