Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Riley-Byrne
Frequent Visitor

Date Slicer without relationships

Hey everyone,

I'm sure this has been done already, but have not been able to find a solution on the forums. 

I have a desktop PBI that has multiple different tables from various data sources. The main source of my relationships is linking them by 'Item Number'. 

This allows me to be able to look through sets of information as by these specific item numbers, as they relate to one another in different visuals. This field is the one constant between all tables, and thus must be the focal point in my relationships. 

My challenge comes in when I try to include a date slicer. Several of my tables have date slicers, but I am unable to make relationships between them due to my existing Item Number relationships. Therefore, when I insert a date slicer, it does not filter appropriately across all visuals.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this? For reference, overview of my relationships are below. 

Thanks in advance,

RileRelationships 1.PNGRelationships 2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey everyone,

You were right; had to make a separate table for part numbers. The other main cause of my issues was the relationships - not many to many, but by having them go only one direction. That was a huge key in this. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Riley-Byrne ,

We can create a measure as below and make the table filtered by the measure.

Measure = IF(MAX('BO'[Date]) in VALUES('Table'[Date]),1,0)

Capture.PNG

Pbix as attached.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hey everyone,

You were right; had to make a separate table for part numbers. The other main cause of my issues was the relationships - not many to many, but by having them go only one direction. That was a huge key in this. 

@Riley-Byrne glad to hear you have solution. cheers!!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Riley-Byrne you should add seperate table for your item, similar like date. and set relationship of all your table with this new item table.

add end of the day, you will have relationship of each table with item and date, but apart from item and table, these tables will not have relatinship with each other.

Now change your item slicer to get item from item table and now everything will filter on date and on item as well.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.