Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mjba
Regular Visitor

Date Slicer Making Cards "Blank"

Please see link to screen video demonstrating the issue:

Screen Recording

Thank you for any advice you can provide!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @mjba 

I tested this last night & this AM. 

Last night I was at home & tested on the August 2019 PBI Desktop release. I didn't get the results I was looking for when slicing by date. I used the date field from my 'date table.' When I sliced by date, it would pull in other dates from the related table (the rev & expense table).

This AM (at work), I tested on the June 2019 PBI Desktop and got the results I expected; I sliced on the dates in my 'date table.' I tested the margin calculation two different ways: (1) in a table that had both rev & expense #s & (2) where rev & expense #s were in separate tables.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I just wanted to share my findings with you. Your original measure worked for me on the June 2019 release, but in the August 2019 release the slicer didn't produce results I expected. 

HERE is a link to my testing (done this AM).

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @mjba 

I like the vid!

Are the values displayed on the cards measures? If so, can you possibly post the measures used for at least one of them?

Hey, ccapowerbi!

Thanks for your response!  I have two measures -- the net card and the realized hourly rate card.  However, one quick note, even before I added those measures, the revenue and hours worked cards still reacted the same as they are in my video ... where they go blank.

Net =
SUM('Revenue'[Revenue]) - SUM('Expenses'[Sub-Agent Expenses])

Realized Hourly Rate =
DIVIDE([Net], SUM('Time'[Hours Worked]))

I also checked the relationships and formatting of the columns -- both seem to be fine.

Thanks again!
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjba 

I'm working right now, so I can't test. 

Can you wrap your SUM expressions in CALCULATE?

Net =

CALCULATE(SUM('Revenue'[Revenue])) - CALCULATE(SUM('Expenses'[Sub-Agent Expenses]))

No problem!  I changed the measures to include CALCULATE like you demonstrated.  Unfortunately that didn't fix the "blank" issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjba 

With measures, if BLANK appears & you know there isn't numerical data for the specified time period you can simply add +0 to the end of your measure to show 0 instead of BLANK.

Are you sure there are numerical data for your specified time period?

Yup -- I'm sure there is data within that range!  If I make date slicers using the fields that this one date slicer is related to, they all work as they should, but as soon as I try to control them all with one date slicer, then they all go blank.  Odd!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @mjba 

I tested this last night & this AM. 

Last night I was at home & tested on the August 2019 PBI Desktop release. I didn't get the results I was looking for when slicing by date. I used the date field from my 'date table.' When I sliced by date, it would pull in other dates from the related table (the rev & expense table).

This AM (at work), I tested on the June 2019 PBI Desktop and got the results I expected; I sliced on the dates in my 'date table.' I tested the margin calculation two different ways: (1) in a table that had both rev & expense #s & (2) where rev & expense #s were in separate tables.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I just wanted to share my findings with you. Your original measure worked for me on the June 2019 release, but in the August 2019 release the slicer didn't produce results I expected. 

HERE is a link to my testing (done this AM).

Interesting -- thanks for doing some tests and sending over your file!  That's exactly how I anticipated it would work.  I wonder if it's a bug in the August release...

Thanks again for your time!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.