cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Date Slicer Granularity - I'd like it to slice only at the year level

I have data which needs to be sliced only at the year level. I've modified my date to month 1, day 1, giving me "1/1/year". Also adjusted formatting to "YYYY". The client loves the Date Slicer, but it insists on using full "M/D/YYYY" with the slider.

I know I can set other options for year, but they don't look as slick, and client prefers "slick". (me too)

Desired result would be display of years only, with year increasing or decreasing.

Granularity of Date Slicer.JPG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

Re: Date Slicer Granularity - I'd like it to slice only at the year level

@tommy_g As a best practice, add date dimension in your model and use it for and time intelligence calculations. Once the date dimension is added, mark it as a date table on table tools.

https://perytus.com/2020/05/22/create-a-basic-date-table-in-your-data-model-for-time-intelligence-ca...

Once you have a date dimension, just use Year from date dimension, and yes you will see the slider with the number column used in the slicer.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.

Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

@tommy_g yes, once you convert year to number and use it on the slicer, it will show slider and allows you to pick between years.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

@tommy_g why not you use year in the slicer, you can still have the slider, wat's the point showing the date if you are always slicing on a year, just an idea.

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hey, good question!

The table is not currently linked to a data table, it's just a simple list.

I did try using my internal date table with the slicer as a test.

However it only provides for list and dropdown options, the desired "between" option for the sliders is not available.

As far as I can tell, the sliders are ONLY available with a simple date.

Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

@tommy_g As a best practice, add date dimension in your model and use it for and time intelligence calculations. Once the date dimension is added, mark it as a date table on table tools.

https://perytus.com/2020/05/22/create-a-basic-date-table-in-your-data-model-for-time-intelligence-ca...

Once you have a date dimension, just use Year from date dimension, and yes you will see the slider with the number column used in the slicer.

Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

@tommy_g , if you have Year as number data type, you can use between range ?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
My Recent Blog -Week is not so Weak Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

"Once you have a date dimension, just use Year from date dimension, and yes you will see the slider with the number column used in the slicer."

I already have a marked data table. If I add the date field to the slicer I can use the "between" to activate the slider.

If I select anything from the date hierarchy the slicer will accept it but NOT allow use of the "between" sliders.

As far as I can tell, the slicer requires an actual data value (i.e. a column showing the date icon).

Perhaps you can clarify your comment "slider with the number column", I'm not sure what number you are referencing. 

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Digging deeper into my date table, I see that my year, month and day columns are set to "text" data type. 

I do not remember when or why i did this, investigating now.

Presumably the slicer prefers numbers as "between" values. I think my two decades of VB programming have led me to expect too much in terms of "between"!

Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

@tommy_g yes, once you convert year to number and use it on the slicer, it will show slider and allows you to pick between years.

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Updating my previous comments, the date slicer "between" sliders support both "official dates" at the granularity of day, AND numeric years when the year column is defined as a whole number. The advantage of using numeric "years" is the slicer then does not show extraneous month and day values.

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Yes, year level works in the slicer. My original date table, which I probably created several years ago, year, month and days were defined as character values. I have no idea why, but when changing to integers I can use the slider option. The complication I ran into is obvious in retrospect: on the screen, 2019 looks the same whether text or numeric.

Helpful resources

Announcements
May 2020 Community Highlights

May 2020 Community Highlights

It’s time for another PBI Community recap!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Galleries

Galleries

Looking for inspiration on how to present your data? Need instructional videos? Check out our Galleries!

Top Solution Authors