cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MisterT Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Date Separation

I'm just getting started with Power BI based on a SQL Server database.  I've watched a number of videos, including the following which highlights how a date field will get separated into Year, Quarter, Month, Day columns automatically when viewing in a datatable:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/guided-learning/powerbi-learning-2-6a-explore-time-based-data/

Except that doesn't happen at all in my model where I am directly linked to the underlying dataset?  I've looked at options and checked that the field is indeed a date field in SQL and in the model, but it refuses to separate when I add a table visualisation?

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ankitpatira Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Date Separation

@MisterT It doesn't get seperated if you've connected to data source via DirectQuery method. Only when you import it gets seperated.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Baskar Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi,

please check ur datefiled datatype first. whether it was in date or some other format ...

or

Can u please share ur requirement as image , that will help us to undestand ur prob clearly 

ankitpatira Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@MisterT It doesn't get seperated if you've connected to data source via DirectQuery method. Only when you import it gets seperated.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Kudos Received Badges Coming

New Kudos Received Badges Coming

Kudos to you if you earned one of these! Check your inbox for a notification.

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Learn about the award-winning innovation that was implemented across Microsoft’s Business Applications Communities.

Power Platform World Tour

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (2,089)