Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date Relationship Not Working

I have used the date table multiple times but I am getting stuck with one data set.  I have double checked the date formats but nothing seems to work.  What I want is for the dates from one table to line up with the dates from the date table.

Not Matching.pngDate Table.pngRelationship.pngData Format.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

If the data type of the OPEN_TIME column is date/time, it will never match a date in your date table even if the format is date. There are more digits there that you've simply hidden with the formatting. The data types should match. If you need to preserve the time value from OPEN_TIME make a new column that takes only the date value from OPEN_TIME and use that new column in the date table relationship.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
FloridaMan55051
Advocate I
Advocate I

I've also had to go into power query to adjust the data type - just changing the date column from date/time to date in the format pane in power bi desktop did not do the trick. I had to go into power query and adjust the type there.

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

If the data type of the OPEN_TIME column is date/time, it will never match a date in your date table even if the format is date. There are more digits there that you've simply hidden with the formatting. The data types should match. If you need to preserve the time value from OPEN_TIME make a new column that takes only the date value from OPEN_TIME and use that new column in the date table relationship.

Huge thanks for this... been banging my head for a while trying figure this one out 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks sooo much... I would have never figured that out.

It sometimes helps to think of relationships as exact lookups. The relationship can be valid but if no exact match can be found it, the relationship won't actually do anything.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't realize that changing the format is just cosmetic and doesn't change the underlying data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Me neither. I'm about to test this out and see if it works. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.