Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

svellik
Frequent Visitor

Date - Last 7 / 30 days - recurring

I use Power BI desktop. I want to make a report that show users incoming application, and I want it to show number of application last 7 days and last 30 days. And I want this to be recurring date, so the users don`t have to use filters.

What is the recommended way to do this in my data set up and reports?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mllopis
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi,

You can set "dynamic filters" as part of your query. It is available to you in the Filter menu (column header dropdown menu) for a DateTime column.

Depending on your queries, you might want to have a common base query and then create two "reference" queries where you define a different filter on each. You could then also disable load for the common base query, and simply load the other two tables with "Last 7 days" and "Last 30 days" data.

Thanks,
M.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
vanessa
Post Patron
Post Patron

Is there a way to do this, if the 7 days are not calculated from today(), but based on a date selected from a dropdown list.

eg. suppose the date selected in the dropdown is 18/07/2017.

so 7 days before 18/07/2017 should be in the result.

LetBloodline
Frequent Visitor

I wanted to do something similar with last12month

My solution was to create a calculated column on calendar table

Last12m = IF(TODAY()<'Date'[InizioMese];
 1+QUOTIENT(
  DATEDIFF(TODAY();
   'Date'[InizioMese];
   MONTH)-1;
  12);
 0-QUOTIENT(
  DATEDIFF('Date'[InizioMese];
   TODAY();
   MONTH);
  12)
 )

i can then use Last12m the same way i'd use Year for filtering or anything else

Note that i needed to include full current month in last12m (today last12m = 0 it would be from 1/nov/14 to 31/oct/15. If you want last 30 days just work with days

Need to be careful if using a calculated column as I don't think it will be refreshed automatically without a data source refresh. The calculation could be correct when first set up but then fall over the next day.

mllopis
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi,

You can set "dynamic filters" as part of your query. It is available to you in the Filter menu (column header dropdown menu) for a DateTime column.

Depending on your queries, you might want to have a common base query and then create two "reference" queries where you define a different filter on each. You could then also disable load for the common base query, and simply load the other two tables with "Last 7 days" and "Last 30 days" data.

Thanks,
M.

Hi, I didn't find how to reach filter menu? Can you pls explain?

@jariwalakrunal : If you open up "Edit Queries" on the ribbon under "Home" tab, click on the Query you want to modify on the left, Query1 for example - and then click on a column header that contains Date/Time Data.  Then about 5 options down you will see "Date/Time Filters" and an arrow pointing right.  Use those to set your filter.  

Beware that if you want to have past 7 and past 30, you will need to duplicate the query, and change that filter.

@ALeef

Good idea! In doing this; would it best to have a seperate table just with the date and the data we want and use the filters? Will it update everytime we refresh the dashbard?

Do you think there's a better way to do this as so you don't have to create a new table everytime?

Something like probs a calculated column:

Past 7 Day Sales = Calculate(Values('Sales Data'),     
         DATESINPERIOD (
        'Datetable'[DateKey],
        LASTDATE ( 'Datetable'[DateKey] ),
        DAY
    )

The part I'm not sure about is the VALUES part. I feel we need a different expression to literally just show the last few days actual values.

Hi,

This is helpful, thank you. 🙂

However, I didn't get how to set it to last 30 days or last 7 days for example!

Krunal

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.