Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KosKoul
Helper I
Helper I

Date: How to customise Format and keep it continuous

Hi, 

I am having a Date column appearing by default in a "DD MMMM YYYY" format (01 January 2019) and want to change that to "1 Jan '19" instead. But I can't. 

I used both the FORMAT and CONCATENATE DAX functions, and although the dates appeared oin the desired format, the column type changed from Date to text adn from continuous to categorica.

That had in impact in showing YTD figures (that is for instance not only volums by day but also days with no volume at all) and entries with zero values won't appear as a result of this. 

Any kind of help would be (extremely) appreciated as I'm thinking of working it on Python as my last resort. 

Many thanks,
K

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KosKoul 

Did you try this option?

007.PNG

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KosKoul 

Did you try this option?

007.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Thanks @v-diye-msft 

Yes, but without the dashes - I also just noticed that there's a new update out as I didn't have that option on the one I was working on. 

Hi @KosKoul 

If you'd like to keep the format as Date, you can only choose the one from the dropdown list.

quickly.

Hi @v-diye-msft again, 

Interestingly enough, after updating my P BI desktop, this option doesn't appear. 

Not sure if that's a technical problem or just a featured in previous versions of the platform. 

Thanks,

Kostas 

Hi @KosKoul 

Any updates? If your issue still exists, could you please share your dummy pbix that I can investigate it further? If it has been fixed, please kindly mark the helpful answer as solution. Thanks a lot!

Please note that you can edit the type under query editor as Date first before you can change it in other date format:

08.PNG

quickly.

Hi @v-diye-msft,

Although I updated the version I couldn't get the format options you showed in your first respsonse.

I can send you a dummy pbix in case you want to have a look on it. 

Many thanks,
Kostas 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

You have to make sure that, after your change, its data type remains date. Best it choose from format option in Data/Model view. 

For display, you can create a new column and can set its sort column as an original date column. That will allow using custom date format with sorting.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors