cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ria Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Date Hierarchy

Sometimes when I create a visualization in Power BI desktop with date and sales data, it automatical sets it up with the date hierarchy.  I had one visualization set up this way and then added a new data base that had dates in it.  I used the date to manage the relationships. Now my visualization has changed so that the hierarchy option on the date is no longer available.  What do I need to do to change it back again?

5 REPLIES 5
Phil_Seamark Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Date Hierarchy

Make sure your column is definitely datetime type and format. When you drag the item to the axis you should have additional settings in the area where you dropped your date. Also in the painter settings for the visual, choose continuous rather than categorical on the axis settings.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

campagnol54 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Does it help if I say hierarchy works with bar chart but not with line charts ?

In line charts I get only hierarchy for years. If I simply convert this line chart to bar chart, I get the whole hierarchy.

asocorro Member

Only the year appears because you cannot drill-down on a line chart.

Connect with me in LinkedIn: https://pr.linkedin.com/in/adolfosocorro
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AdolfoSocorro
Lucy64 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue where I cannot drill down through the date, it is set as date/time with the format as m/d/yyyy.  The same format as I have for another dashboard (different data source) where the drill down works.  What am I missing?

Highlighted
fedin Visitor
Visitor

Sorry if doing this wrong as this is my first time here Smiley Happy.

Indeed the problem appears when you add the date column to a relationship. Assume I had a table called "theTable" with a date column called "DateCol". My solution was to create a new calculated column "DateCol2 = [theTable]DateCol" and then replace DateCol with DateCol2. Using DateCol2 I got my hierarchy back.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

We spoke with Power BI Super User, Greg Deckler, about his charity work

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 394 members 4,533 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: