Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ria
Frequent Visitor

Date Hierarchy

Sometimes when I create a visualization in Power BI desktop with date and sales data, it automatical sets it up with the date hierarchy.  I had one visualization set up this way and then added a new data base that had dates in it.  I used the date to manage the relationships. Now my visualization has changed so that the hierarchy option on the date is no longer available.  What do I need to do to change it back again?

5 REPLIES 5
fedin
Regular Visitor

Sorry if doing this wrong as this is my first time here :).

Indeed the problem appears when you add the date column to a relationship. Assume I had a table called "theTable" with a date column called "DateCol". My solution was to create a new calculated column "DateCol2 = [theTable]DateCol" and then replace DateCol with DateCol2. Using DateCol2 I got my hierarchy back.

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Make sure your column is definitely datetime type and format. When you drag the item to the axis you should have additional settings in the area where you dropped your date. Also in the painter settings for the visual, choose continuous rather than categorical on the axis settings.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I have the same issue where I cannot drill down through the date, it is set as date/time with the format as m/d/yyyy.  The same format as I have for another dashboard (different data source) where the drill down works.  What am I missing?

Does it help if I say hierarchy works with bar chart but not with line charts ?

In line charts I get only hierarchy for years. If I simply convert this line chart to bar chart, I get the whole hierarchy.

Only the year appears because you cannot drill-down on a line chart.

Connect with me in LinkedIn: https://pr.linkedin.com/in/adolfosocorro
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AdolfoSocorro

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.