cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daveed1973 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Date Hierarchy not showing

As far as I am aware the date heirarchy doesn't work with Direct Query. It doesn't on any of my direct query dashboards anyway.

An alternative would be to create a group based on the date field and add the date in Month bins for example. Just right click on the date field and click on new group.

perpor Member

no, in our reports hierarchy works fine with direct query from many months, on the server test and prod

perpor Member

with the workaround you suggest you loose the drill capability...

Highlighted
perpor Member

Someone else has experience ? Really date hierarchy has problems with Direct Query  ?? (I have some doubt about...)

perpor Member

I have clarified everything, in 'direct query' mode, date hierarchies are not active, and in our reports there was used only 'import' mode and not with direct queries, thanks to Daveed1973

davidhinckley Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

This is a frustrating issue. An easy (but frustratingly should-be-unnecessary) workaround is to create a calculated field:

DateIShouldntHaveToCreateThisExtraColumn = 'QueryPowerBIIsntReadingRight'[DateFromQueryThatForNoReasonIsntWorking]

The new column should give you a heirarchy without a problem.

And, if you're like me, it'll make you mad every time you see the duplication.

Shelley Member

Same problem. Created unnecessary field with date format and the hierarchy now shows. Very annoying. Thanks!