Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alex_Ooi
Helper IV
Helper IV

Date Hierarchy missing in Dec 2019 release?

Hi folks, I am now not able to have the DATE HIERARCHY feature enabled (I never had this issue before Dec 2019 release).

I have tried a couple of solutions and none of them worked:

Created a calendar table using CALENDAR function - failed

Mark data table as date table - failed

Mark calendar table as date table - failed

Go to File > Options & Settings > Options > Preview features - no such feature is there that enables date hierarchy

I do not want to create my own hierarchy by using year / month / date because I feel that is not doing justice to whatever feature was previously there. Can someone please guide me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After discussing with @v-lili6-msft , I noticed the reason why my date hierarchy is missing because I have disabled TIME INTELLIGENCE under CURRENT FILE > DATA LOAD. This issue is now resolved.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Using-measures-to-return-data-grouped-by-specific-date-rang...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Alex_Ooi ,

Please refer https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/date-hierarchy-missing/m-p/887555.

No hierarchy will be created 

• when the date table on the Many side relationship
  • In Direct Query connections

Otherwise, please try update Power BI Desktop to latest version and see if the issue still exists.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Hi @v-jayw-msft thank you for the response. I have read that article, and it didn't work too. In fact, I created a connection from date table to the data table, and I used the [Date] field from date table (not data table). This too, failed to work.

Also, can I know how would I know which is the latest Power BI Desktop version? I am currently running on

Version: 2.76.5678.782 64-bit (December, 2019)

The update notification on my machine is greyed out - I assume the app would have automatic update, which means I am already having an up-to-date version as we speak? Please advise.

pbix update.jpg

Hi @Alex_Ooi ,

I have the same Power BI Desktop version with you and my date hierarchy feature is working fine.

If you are using one to many relationship, the "many" side date hierarchy won't work.

Try open a new pbix and create a single date table and check if you can use date hierarchy, if not, you might need to reinstall your Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Hi @v-jayw-msft , I am still waiting for your response. Kindly advise.

After discussing with @v-lili6-msft , I noticed the reason why my date hierarchy is missing because I have disabled TIME INTELLIGENCE under CURRENT FILE > DATA LOAD. This issue is now resolved.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Using-measures-to-return-data-grouped-by-specific-date-rang...

@v-jayw-msft I made a mistake by clicking on "Mark as solution" earlier. I have done as per your advise

• Creating a new date table - failed
  • Reinstalled Pbix - failed

date_hierarchy.png

Below is the DAX code I used to create date table. Can you share with me how did you create a date table?

Calendar = 
VAR BaseCalendar =
    CALENDAR (DATE (2005, 1, 1), DATE (2015, 12, 31))
RETURN
    GENERATE (
        BaseCalendar,
        VAR BaseDate = [Date]
        VAR YearDate = YEAR ( BaseDate )
        VAR MonthNumber = MONTH ( BaseDate )
        VAR MonthName = FORMAT ( BaseDate, "mmmm" )
        VAR YearMonthName = FORMAT ( BaseDate, "mmm yy" )
        VAR YearMonthNumber = YearDate * 12 + MonthNumber - 1
        VAR WeekNumber = WEEKNUM( [Date], 2)
        RETURN ROW (
            "Year", YearDate,
            "Month Number", MonthNumber,
            "Weeknum", WeekNumber,
            "Month", MonthName,
            "Year Month Number", YearMonthNumber,
            "Year Month", YearMonthName
        )
    )

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.