Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RobHel33
Regular Visitor

Date Hierarchy display MoM across calendar years

Hello Gurus,

In need of some assistance in displaying months with MoM variance - my months are, July - Dec 2019 and Jan 2020.  With doing this it is now displaying January as the earliest date due to not displaying the year.

Any support, greatly appreciated.

WIN_20200301_09_53_51_Pro (2).jpg

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

With a date calendar, you can use these kind formula's to get a variance

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))
last MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH)))
last MTD (complete) Sales =  CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH))))
last year MTD (complete) Sales =  CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH(dateadd('Date'[Date],-12,MONTH))))
last year MTD Sales =  CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-12,MONTH)))

Sort column for the month is

Month Sort = format(Date[date],"YYYYMM")

Sort_by_column.png

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

nmckbcs
Helper I
Helper I

Have you tried sorting by month instead of by the variance? Try going to the ellipsis in the visual and sort by month. If that doesn’t work I can share a measure to sort your month if it’s needed.

Thank you for response - did try all sort by options and no luck

Appreciate your measure to give that try

Hi @RobHel33 ,

Have you resolved the problem? If yes, please mark the helpful answers as solutions. If not, maybe you could reference the video to have a try.

Sort month name chronologically in Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Use the below measure and then sort your month column by that: 

MonthSort = FORMAT('CALENDAR'[Date], "yyyyMM")

@RobHel33 generally with month names you create a "Month Sort" column that is simply MONTH('Table'[Date]). You then click on your Month column and use the Sort By function in the ribbon to sort by your numeric Month Sort column.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.