Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkCBB
Helper V
Helper V

Date Hierarchy - Column chart - Hierarchy not appearing anymore

Hi There,

I have a column in my database that contains dates, I used to be able to drop a date into axis and the date herachry would automatically appear, however I am not able to do this now. The date column is formatted as a date. What have I done? How do i get it to appear again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MarkCBB Do you not have an actual date table? The date hierarchy for that application is meant to come from a date table with a continuous column of dates with a relationship to your other tables' date fields.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@MarkCBB if you don't see hierarchy appearing automatically you can also try option as shown in image below.

Capture.PNG

@ankitpatira I dont get that option, but I have seen it before and if I create a small test table on a blank PBI file I get the option but for somereason I dont get it with this one.

pbi_Dates.png

@MarkCBB It's hard to tell from your cropped screenshot but it doesn't look like you put the date column in the Axis well. If it's a column visual that last well at the bottom just above filters is for Tooltips.

@KHorseman sorry about that, the screen shot was incorrect, here is a better one:

1.png

@MarkCBB Do you not have an actual date table? The date hierarchy for that application is meant to come from a date table with a continuous column of dates with a relationship to your other tables' date fields.

Hello , i am also having the same problem but i don't understand the solution, there is only one taple of my data that contains date , i changet the type of data to date but still i don't have the herachery option "the other team has the same data and it appers for them) 

IMG_5718.png

That is exactly why, thank you. Problem solved

MarkCBB
Helper V
Helper V

Hi There,

I have a column in my database that contains dates, I used to be able to drop a date into axis and the date herachry would automatically appear, however I am not able to do this now. The date column is formatted as a date. What have I done? How do i get it to appear again?

@MarkCBB

Are you talking about something like this?

Capture.PNG

May I know what is the type and content of that column and what Visual's Axis that the column is dropped to?

@Eric_Zhang I figured it out, it was because I did not have consecutive dates in the date table. 

What is meant by Consecutive dates?

No gaps, like weekens?

I still face the same problem, importing straight from excel, columns formatted as date in excel, formatted as date in Power BI, still unable to see the hiearchy

@mvanwynscorrect. A date table must have a continuous series of dates with no gaps.

Still the same issue, just can't get the date hiearchy to work.

I've added the dates that were missing from my range, saved, refreshed even re-imported.

It just doesn't want to create a hiearchy

should the excel be CSV or XLS?

ScreenHunter_829 Dec. 19 15.07.jpg

Ok found some weird behaviour.

I've copy pasted this sheet to a new one in excel and saved as CSV.

Imported it in my project and same result, no hiearchy.

Tried a new project, imported the same CSV file and now i have a hiearchy.

Very strange

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the same problem. I have a table that contain multiple data and one of the columns have dates (not all days, because the company does not work on the weekends). Last week when I put that column on a chart axis I would be able to see the date hierarchy, and today I'm not able. It is very strange because I did not change anything that would have impact on that. Strange behavior. I dont want to create a table date and use date hierarchy or something like that, I just want to be able to put a date column and drill down my chart through year/quarter/month/day.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the same problem. I have a table that contain multiple data and one of the columns have dates (not all days, because the company does not work on the weekends). Last week when I put that column on a chart axis I would be able to see the date hierarchy, and today I'm not able. It is very strange because I did not change anything that would have impact on that. Strange behavior. I dont want to create a table date and use date hierarchy or something like that, I just want to be able to put a date column and drill down my chart through year/quarter/month/day.

You do not need continuous dates or even a date in every row. It probably doesn't work due to your date being related to a date in another table. You have to remove that relationship for it to work. It makes no sense.

@MarkCBB

I didn't see this thread before I replied. Since those two threads are the same question from you so I just merged them.
Please avoid duplicated posts, thanks for your understanding. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors