Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date Hierarchies with SSAS Tabular

The date hierarchy feature with PowerBI imports is very user friendly, especially for role-playing dimensions.

If you have an OrderDate and ShipmentDate both can be located on the same table in the fields explorer, and hierachies show up when selected. Also, both of these role-playing dates works as active relationsships at the same time.

However, I find it hard to achive a similar user friendlines with Live connection to SSAS Tabular.

What are your recommendations to get closest to that functionality???

The docs say: Using DirectQuery in Power BI:

No Built in-date hierarchy: When importing data, then by default every date/datetime column will also have a built-in date hierarchy available by default. For example, if importing a table of sales orders including a column OrderDate, then upon using OrderDate in a visual, it will be possible to choose the appropriate level (Year, Month, Day) to use. This built-in date hierarchy is not available when using DirectQuery mode. Note however that if there is Date table available in the underlying source (as is common in many data warehouses) then the DAX Time Intelligence functions can be used as normal.

The closest I get, is creating a SSAS date table and creating calculated tables from this, in order to allow multiple date-relationships to be active at the same time. However

1) only one table can be marked as date table

2) the fields menu gets extremely cluttered with date tables separated from their facts.

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

You could also create custom hierarchies in Power BI.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guided-learning/visualizations#step-18

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont see how this adresses my question, could you elaborate?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.