Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NicholasBowman

Date Formula

Currently trying to convert a person's birth date to the same month and day in the current year. I have used the date formula as such: Birth Date This Year = DATE(YEAR(today()),MONTH(contacts[Birth Date]),DAY(contacts[Birth Date])). The problem seems to be in the day component as if i substitute that argument with a normal integer then the formula pulls through the correct date and month. I am just a little confused why the month component of the formula would work but the same logic in the day component is causing an error?

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @NicholasBowman,

I guess there could be a date like 2004/2/29 while we don't have 2/29 in the current year. Please try the formula below.

Column 2 =
VAR yearNow =
    YEAR ( TODAY () )
VAR isLeapNow =
    IF (
        MOD ( yearNow, 4 ) = 0
            && MOD ( yearNow, 100 ) <> 0,
        IF ( MOD ( yearNow, 400 ) = 0, 1, 0 )
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        FORMAT ( [Date], "MMDD" ) = "0229"
            && isLeapNow <> 1,
        DATE ( 2100, 1, 1 ),  //change this part to what you like
        DATE ( yearNow, MONTH ( [Date] ), DAY ( [Date] ) )
    )

leapyear

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, i did try this but ended up with the same error response. Tried to test it another way by using an if function to return a different result if the DAY(date) = 29, but that also resulted in the same error

Hi @NicholasBowman,

Can you share a sample?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @NicholasBowman,

The formula you are using should be correct, is the format of the Birth Date correct? Is it configured in your model as a date?

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi! Thanks for your response. The formatting is correct - if i simply use the DAY function then it correctly extracts the day, but when i insert that in to the overall date function if get the error that 'an argument of function 'date' has the wrong data type or the result is too large or too small'. I am using the same column to determine the birthday month and day, so am struggling to understand why within the date formula there is suddenly an error (it works perfectly in the month position of the formula)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.