Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date Formats - MM/DD/YYYY to DD/MM/YYYY

Hi,

I am creating a report for my colleagues in Australia & New Zealand, who view dates as DD/MM/YYYY instead of the American format of DD/MM/YYYY.  Can someone please explain the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Gary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi! Try again with date format, but make sure that you set Data type: to Date first (vs Date/Time). It will open different set of options under Format:

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
suryadeepa

Hi,

Goto Model View -> select the field in the table -> In Properties tab Change the datetype to "Date" ->Date Format "Custom" ->Custom format "Short Date" -> "mm/dd/yyyy.

suryadeepa_0-1707733819945.png

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

For this problem, there are many workarounds:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-to-Dispay-Date-columns-in-DD-MM-YYYY-format/td-p/191760

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Date-issue-dd-mm-yyyy-vs-mm-dd-yyyy/td-p/560290

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Sometimes the formatting will not workout. Create a new formula column. Use left, right and mid function and make it as mm/dd/yyyy date and mark that column as date as well as sort column for the dd/mm/yyyy column.

mid(DD__MM__YY[Date],4,2) &"/"& left(DD__MM__YY[Date],2) & "/" & right(DD__MM__YY[Date],4)

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks.

My Recent Blog - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

Unfortunately, this not works. 

Date is created like this: 

DD/mm/YYYY = day(DateTimeDim[DMY]) &"/"& month(DateTimeDim[DMY]) & "/" & DateTimeDim[Year]
Despite used data type and format (date is mandatory here because of slicer visual) format is always taken from windows regional setting instead of data parameters in power BI (Should be DD/MM/YYYY instead of MM/DD/YYYY)

forPowerBiCommunity.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Give a try as this:

Capture.JPG

Eric Ji | Senior Business Intelligence Consultant
www.designmind.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous , as I mentioned to @Tahreem24, this will not work as I do not have DD/MM/YYYY as an available date format in the Modelling tab.

Hi! Try again with date format, but make sure that you set Data type: to Date first (vs Date/Time). It will open different set of options under Format:

My data type is Date, why am i seeing these option in Format instead of dates. pls help.

VKrishna_0-1684462542343.png

Thanks a lot @alena2k. That helped. 

hi @VKrishna you are in Query Editor, you need to load your data to the model (Home > Close & Apply) and you will see different Format options in Power BI Desktop. I hope it helps!

alena2k_0-1684507750263.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

You need to change your date field from "text" (string) to Date Type. Once this is done you can use format to change to whatever format you want.

If I answer your question, please mark my post as a solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Tomas Santandreu Polanco |Principal Business Intelligence Consultant
www.designmind.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous, thanks for the reply but the format is already set to Date, so this is not the solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gary,

I think I understand your issues now:

You need your a US Date Date Type and another Date of Date Type with a different Locale.

See this blog which I believe can you show you what you need. 

https://www.oraylis.de/blog/local-date-formats-in-power-bi

If I answer your question, please mark my post as a solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Tomas Santandreu Polanco |Principal Business Intelligence Consultant
www.designmind.com

The link you indicated is really helpful and can save extracting the dd, mm and yy pcs of text.

Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Approach 1: use the Format function to show date in the required format. FORMAT(Table[Date Column], "DD/MM/YYYY").

Approach 2: select your date field then go to modelling tab then change the data format option according to DD/MM/YYYY.

Please give Kudos to this effort and mark it as a solution if it helps you!!!
Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tahreem24 thank you for the response, however I tried Approach 1 and this did not work, as it turned my fields into a text format.  Approach 2 won't work either since DD/MM/YYYY is not an available option for me in the Modelling tab.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.