Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jonashlock
Regular Visitor

Date Filter and grouping problems

I am trying to create a filter that has the following options to display the data:

Date range (day, week, month, year)  that would then have an option to group the data by the day, week, month or year.

So say I have 6 months data.    A user would want to see the last 3 months data (first filter) but display in in weekly format.   (see an average of data for that week, excluding weekends)  I would like it to be a page level filter, not just an object level filter.

The dashboard I have created is ticket volumn data.   with #tickets on the Y axis, Date created\resolved on the x. 

Thanks for any help.  I could not find the answer in the forum.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jonashlock,

#1. We are not able to set chart X-axis dipslay in different date range in one level. You can try to set differnet levels in different date range use drill down feature: Drill down in a visualization in Power BI.

#2. Please check Edit Interactions in Power BI dekstop, check if the table visual is set to be filtered by the line chart.

a5.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jonashlock,

Would you please share some sample data and screenshots about the desired results for our analysis?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Capture.JPG

Here is a screen shot of my page

Problems i am having with my data:

1. Unable to build a filter that on the X axis will allow a user to change the date range and display it by the way they want (example:  Last 3 months data shown in Weekly view  or Last years data shown in monthly view)
  2. When choosing a date point on the report type the table below sorts on that data type (open, opened today or resolved) but shows the data for the full date range selected instead of a point in time.   Say I select Open on Jan 08 I would only want to see in the table the tickets that were open on Jan 08 and tagged as open today.  Instead I am currently seeing all data for Open (all dates, not just the 8th)

I currently export 3 reports from our ticketing system with a report ran date time stamp.   Open, Opened today, and Resolved Today.   My line chart is built off of the report run date.  (to be able to show workload and backlog at a point in time)

Did this help explaining the fun I am having? 

Hi @jonashlock,

#1. We are not able to set chart X-axis dipslay in different date range in one level. You can try to set differnet levels in different date range use drill down feature: Drill down in a visualization in Power BI.

#2. Please check Edit Interactions in Power BI dekstop, check if the table visual is set to be filtered by the line chart.

a5.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you considered using a slicer? I have had a similar problem to this in the past and was able to use a slicer in conjuction with a new column spilt off from the main date/time group. Just a thought.

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @jonashlock

You should have a Calender Table in your data model to group the data by day, week, month, year. Firstly create a Calender table and then create relationships between date columns in both tables.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.