Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vitorborges

Date Field Formatting changes after publishing it to PBI Service and connecting as PBI Dataset

Hi all,

I'm working with two pbix files, one upstream and one downstream.

In my upstream file, I have formatted field [Extract Date] as a date field d mmmm yyyy both via Column tools in Report mode and Properties in Model mode. Please refer to the screenshots below.

Report mode:

vitorborges_0-1638324065320.png 

Model mode:

vitorborges_1-1638324157571.png

This upstream file is then published to a PBI Service Workspace, thus creating both a Report and a Dataset.

My downstream pbix file then connects to the Dataset from the upstream file as a PowerBI dataset. However, the [Extract Date] field in the downstream pbix file is automatically set to a slightly different date format, i.e. General Date, which contains date and time and the months are abbreviated. Please see screenshots below from Column tools in Report mode and Properties in Model mode.

Report mode:

vitorborges_3-1638324817380.png

Model mode:

vitorborges_2-1638324472898.png

Unfortunately, the format cannot be changed at the downstream file level since it's connected to the upstream Power BI dataset and for some reason the date format I set in the upstream file and dataset (d mmmm yyyy) is not retained after publication to PBI Service and importing into the downstream file as a PowerBI dataset.

Is this a PBI limitation or a PBI Service parameter?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

5 REPLIES 5
ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@vitorborges hmm... My understanding was that this limitation only applied to DirectQuery for Power BI Datasets and Analysis Services (composite models) not simply live connections as well, and also that said limitation had been resolved.

I am inclined to say that this is not expected behavior and an issue could be submitted.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues 

Thanks @ebeery . I've reported it as an issue (see link below) and we can take it from there.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Date-field-format-changes-when-connecting-to-PowerBI-dataset...

ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @vitorborges, as an initial check, could you verify what Power BI version you are using?  Also, could you confirm whether you are simply using a "live connection" (connected only to a single Power BI dataset in your downstream report) or the "DirectQuery for datasets and Azure Analysis Services" feature? 

I recall that in early releases of the DQ for datasets feature, formatting was not persisted to the downstream reports.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Share-your-thoughts-on-DirectQuery-for-Power-BI-datasets-an... 

ebeery_1-1638327122831.png

Thanks for your prompt reponse @ebeery 

I'm using PowerBI Version: 2.99.621.0 64-bit (November 2021) and am using "live connection", i.e. connected to a single Power BI dataset.

I came across some of @jeroenterheerdt posts in my research that mentioned limitations in the feature, but the link quoted by him didn't work, so I was unsure whether the issue had been addressed or not.

vitorborges_0-1638328185698.png

Should we expect a fix sometime in 2022?

Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.