Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cwayne758
Helper IV
Helper IV

Date Dimension Tables in large datamodels

Hi, 

I'm running quite a large data model (around 20 queries), with many of my tables containing multiple date columns.

I am curious how others approach the use of Date Dimension tables in large models. Do you leverage multiple DateDimension tables with  relationships to your different date fields, or use one Date Dimension table with multiple relationships?

Currently, I am trying to use one Date Dimension table but with my limited proficency in DAX, the filter contexing proves to complicat things for me.

Here's a photo of the model Data Model.PNG 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I posted something on Transitive Relationships and Date Dimensions that might help:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Transitive-Relationships/m-p/8574#M1449

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

lanceengland
Regular Visitor

You can pragmatically do either way.

Separate Data Tables
PROS

• Formulas easier to create for beginning DAX users

CONS

• Your data model will require more memory with duplicate tables
  • If you want to add a new column to your date table (ISO week, for example), then you will have to add it to every table which is more work to maintain and uses more memory

If your data model size in memory is pretty small, you could use separate tables. I prefer only one Date table, creating multiple relationships to it, and altering the appropriate measures to add the USERELATIONSHIP function to the filter context parameter of the CALCULATE function. Once you get the hang of it, it's not as hard as it first seems.

One advantage of multiple date tables is that you can label the attributes clearly as to what they represent (e.g. Invoice Date, Invoice Month, Order Date, Order Month). 

It can also be helpful if you have 2 dates associated with the same fact and want to combine filters. (E.g. all returns in October 2015 that have an original purchase date of 2014).

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.

3 REPLIES 3
lanceengland
Regular Visitor

You can pragmatically do either way.

Separate Data Tables
PROS

• Formulas easier to create for beginning DAX users

CONS

• Your data model will require more memory with duplicate tables
  • If you want to add a new column to your date table (ISO week, for example), then you will have to add it to every table which is more work to maintain and uses more memory

If your data model size in memory is pretty small, you could use separate tables. I prefer only one Date table, creating multiple relationships to it, and altering the appropriate measures to add the USERELATIONSHIP function to the filter context parameter of the CALCULATE function. Once you get the hang of it, it's not as hard as it first seems.

One advantage of multiple date tables is that you can label the attributes clearly as to what they represent (e.g. Invoice Date, Invoice Month, Order Date, Order Month). 

It can also be helpful if you have 2 dates associated with the same fact and want to combine filters. (E.g. all returns in October 2015 that have an original purchase date of 2014).

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I posted something on Transitive Relationships and Date Dimensions that might help:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Transitive-Relationships/m-p/8574#M1449

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.