Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LaxPBI
Frequent Visitor

Date Dim and Fact Tables

Hi, I am a newbie to the group and PBI as well. From Matt's post , it is clear to use multiple look up instances of calendar date for multiple Date fields in 1 Fact Table and that is quite helpful. The issue in my case is a bit extended, where in my model there are multiple fact tables referencing Date tables and they are some how linked through other dimensions. So the question is " If there are multiple fact tables each with atleast 3 - 4 Date Fields , how to establish Date Dim relationships?". Understand , for date fields with in a fact, I can use multiple DAte Dim look up instances, but for multiple facts with multiple Date FIelds and the facts are connected through other Dimensions, what is the best way to establish Date Dim relationships. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @LaxPBI,

All date fields in each Fact tables can be linked to your Date dimension table, just note that only one relationship can be active between a Fact table and Date table. For those date fields that have inactive relationship with date field in Date table, you can create measures per date action using USERELATIONSHIP function.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @LaxPBI,

All date fields in each Fact tables can be linked to your Date dimension table, just note that only one relationship can be active between a Fact table and Date table. For those date fields that have inactive relationship with date field in Date table, you can create measures per date action using USERELATIONSHIP function.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.