Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date Different Between Two Tables

Hi,

I was wondering how to find the number of days between tables?

My calendar table is as follows:

Calendar =
VAR BaseCalendar =
    CALENDAR(MIN(Query1[DATE_OPENED]),MAX(Query1[DATE_OPENED]))
RETURN
    GENERATE (
        BASECALENDAR,
        VAR BaseDate = [Date]
        VAR YearDate = YEAR ( BaseDate )
        VAR MonthNumber = MONTH ( BaseDate )
        RETURN ROW (
            "Day", BaseDate,
            "Year", FORMAT(BaseDate,"yyyy"),
            "Month Number", MonthNumber,
            "Month", FORMAT (BaseDate, "mmmm"),
            "Month Year", FORMAT (BaseDate, "yyyymm"),
            "DayOfMonth", DAY(BaseDate)
        )
    )

I want to use the date in this table, and subtract it from the Date_Opened column in my table called "Query"
Is there a way to do this?

Thank you!
Sarah
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Or try a measure like

Measure 3 = CALCULATE(sumx(SUMMARIZE(filter(crossjoin('Date',Sheet1),Sheet1[DATE_OPENED]<='Date'[Date] && Sheet1[REPAIR_DATE]>='Date'[Date]),[Date],[DATE_OPENED],Sheet1[WR_NO],"_diff",DATEDIFF([DATE_OPENED],[Date],DAY)),[_diff]),CROSSFILTER('Date'[Date],Sheet1[DATE_OPENED],None))

Attachment after signature

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

This can be done like this

datediff(MIN(Query1[DATE_OPENED]),MAX(Query1[DATE_OPENED]),day)

Row context is important, please check my blog for that. you might have to use summarize or values for correct grand total

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Decoding-Direct-Query-in-Power-BI-Part-2-Date-Differ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak  again 🙂

so I used this formula:

??Date Diff? = datediff(max('Calendar'[Date]),Query1[DATE_OPENED],day)

This gives the date difference between the Date_Opened and the Max of the Calendar date I created, but how do I do this for any selected Date in the Calendar date?

So if I wanted to use 4/10/2020, all Date_Openeds with the date of 4/10/2020 would have the ??Date Diff? = 0,
but if the Date Opened date was 4/05/2020 (lets say there are 3 dates of 4/05/2020), the ??Date Diff? would equal 3.
And this would change depending on the date that I choose in the Calendar Date table

Please let me know if this does not make sense...

Thank you!
Sarah

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak another way of asking the question is

for each date in the Calendar table, I want to subtract these dates inidividually from all the Date Opened dates in the Query table

I have been thinking about this and it seems like I would need to create a column for each date in the Calendar table?

is this even possible?

Thank you!
Sarah

@Anonymous , you can create a new table like and get from it

Table = SUMMARIZE(filter(crossjoin('Date',Sheet1),Sheet1[DATE_OPENED]<='Date'[Date] && Sheet1[REPAIR_DATE]>='Date'[Date]),[Date],[DATE_OPENED],Sheet1[WR_NO],"_diff",DATEDIFF([DATE_OPENED],[Date],DAY))

Or try a measure like

Measure 3 = CALCULATE(sumx(SUMMARIZE(filter(crossjoin('Date',Sheet1),Sheet1[DATE_OPENED]<='Date'[Date] && Sheet1[REPAIR_DATE]>='Date'[Date]),[Date],[DATE_OPENED],Sheet1[WR_NO],"_diff",DATEDIFF([DATE_OPENED],[Date],DAY)),[_diff]),CROSSFILTER('Date'[Date],Sheet1[DATE_OPENED],None))

Attachment after signature

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.