Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jesspiorier
Frequent Visitor

Date Differences between tables with many:many relationships

Hello,

I need some help with relationship modeling and calculations regarding finding the date difference between events and purchases by customers.  The goal is a conversion distance rate for when a customer attended an event and when they made a subsequent purchase.

'Customer Data'  has a single entry for each [INDIVIDUAL_ID]

'Events' has many entries for each [INDIVIDUAL_ID]

'A-Purchase' can have many entries for each [INDIVIDUAL_ID] (or none)

'B-Purchase' can have many entries for each [INDIVIDUAL] (or none)

I'm looking to find DATEDIFF from an event ('Events' [LEAD_DATE]) to  purchases from either/both purchase tables. I tried creating a table of just distinct Individual IDs to act as a secondary bridge, but my "related" measures gave me errors.  I tried using a DATE table, but I couldn't make the relationship active because of cardinality issues.  I'm hoping someone smarter than myself can help me figure this out.  Thanks in advance.  -Jess

Data ModelData Model

3 REPLIES 3
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @jesspiorier ,

Although youhave place some information in your post by the image you present and without any data is difficult to give you an answer.

Can you please share a sample file and expected result? If the information is sensitive, difficult to make a mockup or you don't want to share it here you can do it trough private message.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi @MFelix .

Here is a super-simplified view of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Expected Results.PNG

Essentially, the number of days between participating in an event/campaign and how long it took them to make a puchase (two different types of purchases, A or B).  

All people will have particiapted in at least one Event, will some will have participated in many.

Some people will have made a purchase from A or B (or both) multiple times, and some people will not have purchased anything at all.

I have a customer table with a single, unique [INDIVIDUAL_ID] for each person. I also have a date table.  I need a measure or calculated column or something to figure out the DATEDIFF between [LEAD_DATE] to [PURCHASE DATE A] (and/or B).  Does that make sense? Is that possible and I'm just over (or under) thinking it?  😆

Hi @jesspiorier ,

Try the following two measures:

To Purchase A =
DATEDIFF (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'A-PURCHASE'[PURCHASE_DATE] );
    SELECTEDVALUE ( EVENT[LEAD_DATE] );
    DAY
)

To Purchase B =
DATEDIFF (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'B-PURCHASE'[PURCHASE_DATE] );
    SELECTEDVALUE ( EVENT[LEAD_DATE] );
    DAY
)

Check the PBIX file attach.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.