Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date/Calendar Table

I have a table of dates (every date from 2003 to 2035) in my data model but am wondering if I need to create relationship(s) between this and my other data tables?

If so, my main table has several columns of dates so which would I link to?

To be honest, I am thinking I shouldn't create a relationship as any filtering of the date table will only then filter my model by whichever date column in my data table I have created a relationship with?

I hope all that makes sense. It's more of an abstract question at the moment but my ultimate goal is to create some rolling average.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Create relationships with all the columns you need but make the inactive. Then use USERELATIONSHIP when you want to use them.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

If you want to use the calendar date to filter source data model, you have to create a relationship between them. For which date column should be linked to, it depends on your actual scenario. You should consider which date field the filter is applied to, which date field is referenced to in calculation.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks but what if I want to filter on various columns?

For example, I have an Actions table with expected completed, revised completed and actual completed dates. I need to filter on all 3 columns for different measures?

Hi @Anonymous,

Not very clear about your requirement. Please share some dummy data to illustrate your scenario. I need to know your expected output.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Yuliana,

It's more of a abstract question about how to set up data models. I think I've figured it out anyway. Thanks.

Hi @Anonymous,

Glad to hear that you have worked it out. Would you please kindly share you solution so that it can benefit others having similar requirement?

Thanks,

Yuliana Gu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create relationships with all the columns you need but make the inactive. Then use USERELATIONSHIP when you want to use them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.