Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pipi9
Frequent Visitor

Date Bug in Power BI

Hi,

I have noticed a date bug in Power BI Desktop. PowerBI desktop display 1st of Oct incorrectly for certain years.  

1 Oct 1972 and 1 Oct 1978 are displayed and exported as 30 Sep 1972 and 30 Sep 1978 respectively.  I don't seem to be able to insert images.

Our company has contacted Microsoft for this bug. They accepted this bug and fixed in the May 2018 release of the Power BI Desktop. 

8 REPLIES 8
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Pipi9,

I can't reproduce your scenario, I try to filter on oct 1st without similar issue.

5.PNG

Please provide more detail content to help us clarify this issue.

E.g.

Desktop version, filter options and formula, relationship, sample data, pbix file, screenshots...

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I don't seem to be able to format the date into DD/MM/YYYY format. I haven't applied any filter.date option.jpg

Hi @Pipi9,

You can try to use below formula to generate calendar table.

let
    DateList = List.Dates(#date(1970, 1, 1), Duration.TotalDays(Date.From(Date.EndOfYear(DateTime.LocalNow()))-#date(1970,1,1)), #duration(1, 0, 0, 0)),
    AddColumns = List.Transform(DateList, each {_}),
    DateTable = #table(type table[Date=date], AddColumns)
in
    DateTable

12.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I think this issue specifically impacts on the first Sunday in October in years later than 1972, the year the daylight saving was introduced for time zone ‘(UTC+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney’ if automatic adjustments for daylight saving is turned on.

This is clearly related to the daylight saving adjustments applied by Microsoft Windows for time zone ‘(UTC+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney’ as the problem is not present for other time zones or if auto adjustment is turned off.   

Rules applied by Microsoft are not correct as the daylight saving in this time zone used to start on the last Sunday in Oct prior to 2008 (not first Sunday in Oct as of now) and it should starts at 2:00 am not 1Photo1.jpgPhoto2.jpgPhoto3.jpgPhoto4.jpg2:00am.

When exported,  for these year with incorrect date, the time is shifted back by one hour. I think it might have something to do with daylight saving that started from 1972. See https://www.timeanddate.com/time/change/australia/sydney?year=1989

exported data.JPG

recurring date issue.JPG

I have tried your code and still failed miserablly. When I dragged the 'Date' column into a table visual, the date field was automatically changed to Date Hierarchy. However if I remove the hierarchy, it becomes incorrect.

Date and Date Hierarchy.JPG

Can you please run this code then drag the date into a table visual? Also I am in Australia.

let
DateList = List.Dates(#date(1970,1,1), (Date.Year(Date.EndOfYear(DateTime.LocalNow()))-1970)*366, #duration(1,0,0,0)),
AddColumns = List.Transform(DateList, each {_}),
DateTable = #table(type table[Date=date], AddColumns)
in
DateTable

date bug.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.