Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Andy1927
Helper I
Helper I

Date Bins / Groups

Hi,

I'm having to rebuild my PowerBI report because some column names in the live data source have changed. Is it possible to create a conditional column in Power Query where I can group the time between Todays date and an end date that exists in the data?

I'd like to do this using M language if possible

e.g. todays date is 14/06/2021 and the End Date in my data is 01/07/2021 = 0-2mths

14/06/2021 and the End Date in my data is 01/10/2021 = 3-5mths

14/06/2021 and the End Date in my data is 01/05/2022 = 6-11mths

and so on all the way to 24mths+

I do also have null values in this date column so I'll have inevitable errors that I'll need to address which I may to ask assistance about.

I'm quite new to Power BI by the way

Thanks,

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Andy1927 ,

You can use dax to create a calculated column, it is much simpler than use power query, you can try to use the following calculated column:

BINS =
VAR A =
    DATEDIFF ( TODAY (), Table[End Date], MONTH )
RETURN
    IF (
        ISBLANK ( Table[End Date] ),
        BLANK (),
        SWITCH (
            TRUE (),
            A <= 2, "0-2mths",
            A >= 3
                && A <= 5, "3-5mths",
            A >= 6
                && A <= 11, "6-11mths",
            A >= 24, "24mth+"
        )
    )

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

thanks for posting these links!

I'm still unsure if this is the best way to achieve creating Bins for my dates - would DAX be a better option?

My problem is that a date that belongs to 0-2 months this month will belong to 3-6 month bin next month.

I would like anything before todays date to be 'Expired' and anything that is more than 2 years (24months) to show 24mths+

Is M language the best option for this or should I use DAX? Either way I'm still a bit confused about how to do this.

Hi @Andy1927 ,

You can use dax to create a calculated column, it is much simpler than use power query, you can try to use the following calculated column:

BINS =
VAR A =
    DATEDIFF ( TODAY (), Table[End Date], MONTH )
RETURN
    IF (
        ISBLANK ( Table[End Date] ),
        BLANK (),
        SWITCH (
            TRUE (),
            A <= 2, "0-2mths",
            A >= 3
                && A <= 5, "3-5mths",
            A >= 6
                && A <= 11, "6-11mths",
            A >= 24, "24mth+"
        )
    )

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Thank you Dedmon, this is exactly what I needed. I've tweaked the code so <0 = Expired and I've added some extra bins. 

I'm really grateful for this!

Best regards

Andy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.