Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ksven
Advocate III
Advocate III

Dataverse Connector Display Name Change

Hi lovely community,

regarding new Dataverse Connector Feature (Display Name in Datamodel independent of your Power Query Code). -> I don't like it so far...

What happens when I change Display Names in Dataverse? They say "its not a problem":

Ksven_0-1672331825032.png

But how does it work? I have changed some Display Names in Dataverse and have published all customizations.

After I have refreshed whole Data Model via Power Bi Desktop - no Column Names changed like in Dataverse named.

After I have refreshed Power Query (without any Renaming steps) and committed to Datamodel - nothing changed.

Any Ideas?

In addition, has nobody at Microsoft thought about Parent and Child Reports? All Reports connected to my "Master" Parent Dataset are damaged cause they have integrated Display Name Feature...

Thank you in advance!

BR,

Sven

3 REPLIES 3
Ksven
Advocate III
Advocate III

I've tested it little bit more:

Also with another Computer, fresh Power BI Desktop, same Dataverse table, no renaming... I get the initial Display Names of Dataverse, not the current ones! So I guess there must be an issue on Dataverse side.

I have published table and published all customizations on Solution Page...

Any ideas why there are still the old ones?

BR,

Sven

v-xiaosun-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ksven ,

The display names are applied at the model level, so you will continue to see the original system names in the query editor. This also means that if you rename fields with display names in the Query Editor, that change will not be visible in the model (as the display names are applied on top of it). If you want to rename fields with display names, you’ll need to make that change in the model.

If display names change in Dataverse, all your reports will continue to work. Refreshes will continue to run, and you won’t need to change anything in your report. For the new display names to appear in the report, you’ll just need to do a schema refresh in Power BI Desktop and republish.

Here is a document which may be helpful to you. Please reference it.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-my/blog/power-bi-july-2022-feature-summary/#post-19945-_Toc10809984...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ xiaosun

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xiaosun-msft ,

thank you for your reply! Have a look on my screenshot, its your recommended article 🙂

My issue is not to understand where I need to change my column name in Power BI. 

Like described in article: 

"For the new display names to appear in the report, you’ll just need to do a schema refresh in Power BI Desktop and republish."

...its definitely not working! Like described, I've changed Display Names in Dataverse, published customizations and have refreshed Schema in Power BI Desktop, also 24h after publishing, no Display Name Change in Power BI Desktop.

I guess for now there's no impact of changed Display Names in Dataverse in Power BI. I guess there's only first load setting display names. So its a bug or?

BR,

Sven

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.