Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Datasource change help

Hello all,

can someone please guide me the right approach for switching datasource...

I have a report that is built using csv files as the datasource. I want to change the connection type from existing csv file type to a PBI dataset that is published in Service.

When i click on connect to PBI datasets i see this error and am kind of stuck.

Capture.PNG

How can i overcome this error and make the report consume new dataset instead.? 

Recreating the entire report from the scratch isn't ideal.

Please HELP.

8 REPLIES 8
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Can @Greg_Deckler 's suggestion work in your scenario?

If it could, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If not, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Icey

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - Yeah, Live datasets do not support anything that is import (today). Generally you would change things in the Advanced Editor though. Not certain about your situation. In your case, you might just want to create a new file, connect Live. Go to a page in your old report, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C. Paste into new report, rinse and repeat for each page. As long as the data model is the same, should work OK.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Greg_Deckler ,

Let me try your suggestion..

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , you can not add a power bi dataset with any other data source as of now.  Only one power Bi data set as of now.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Amit,

How can i disable the current datasource connection and use a single dataset from service instead.

Is it not possible ?

There are many visuals that i would have to recreate from scratch if there is no alternatives.

Hi @Anonymous 

You can publish the current report and going forward the dataset this report would create on PBI service can be used for further reporting purpose if it serves your purpose.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile
pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

HI @Anonymous 

When you connect to a PBI dataset. there can be only one dataset present in the report.

To understand it more , start a new blank report and connect to your PBI dataset.

You will se that the get connection link is now disabled.

pranit828_0-1597898352128.png

So, when you connecct to PBI dataset no other dataset can be connected and the Power Query editor access is no longer present.

Conclusion is that you have to recreate the report using the the new PBI dataset.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @pranit828 Thanks for your response.

I understand report can have one dataset connection only.

But, what will be the case for the reports that needs to be migrated from xls connection to one single dataset (published in service).

My objective is to end the current connection type with xls files and make use of the dataset. 

And, am not sure how to acheive this.

I followed this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPvY62ULdmw but this trick isnt working anymore.

Any thoughts.?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.