Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

itpamp
Frequent Visitor

Dataset won't refresh

Hello,

I have created a new Power BI Dataset (using an existing Excel file from OneDrive Business) and it suddenly stopped refreshing.

This is the error I'm getting:

itpamp_0-1632780785009.png

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
itpamp
Frequent Visitor

I deleted the Dataset, uploaded again the Excel file and build the flow and Power BI file from scratch, now it's working properly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@itpamp if you are getting the error in desktop, it means there is an issue with the data that power bi is expecting. what is that error? removing and replacing the file is not the solution, you should understand the error and fix it.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

These are the error details:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2021-09-27T22:27:05.1869654Z

Local Time:
2021-09-27T19:27:05.1869654-03:00

Session ID:
cd30d72c-e40e-48c1-a0e9-7ea6df432034

Release:
September 2021

Product Version:
2.97.861.0 (21.09) (x64)

Error Message:
We couldn't connect to your model in the Power BI Service. The dataset may have been deleted, renamed, moved, or it is possible that you don't have permission to access it.

Error Message Detail:
Failed to connect to the URL 'https://api.powerbi.com' while attempting to call cluster resolution.

Stack Trace:
Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.CannotRetrieveModelException: An error occurred while loading the model. Verify that the connection information is correct and that you have permissions to access the data source. ---> Microsoft.PowerBI.DataExtension.Contracts.DataExtensionException: Failed to open the MSOLAP connection. ---> MsolapWrapper.MsolapWrapperException: Could not initialize connection
at MsolapWrapper.Utils.ThrowErrorIfHrFailed(Int32 hr, String message)
at MsolapWrapper.Connection.Open()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataExtension.Msolap.Connection.OpenImpl()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataExtension.Msolap.Connection.OpenImpl()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataExtension.Contracts.Utilities.RunSynchronously(Action action)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.PoolableConnectionWrapper.<OpenAsync>d__8.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.Utils.TaskExtensions.WaitAndUnwrapException(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ModelMetadataProvider.ExecuteSchemaCommand[T](ExploreHostDataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo, IDbConnectionPool connectionPool, IConnectionFactory connectionFactory, IConnectionUserImpersonator connectionUserImpersonator, QueryExecutionOptionsBase queryExecutionOptions, ITelemetryService telemetryService, Func`2 action, String failTelemetryMessage, ServiceErrorStatusCode statusCode, ExploreBaseEvent exploreEvent)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ModelMetadataProvider.ExecuteSchemaCommand[T](ExploreHostDataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo, IDbConnectionPool connectionPool, IConnectionFactory connectionFactory, IConnectionUserImpersonator connectionUserImpersonator, QueryExecutionOptionsBase queryExecutionOptions, ITelemetryService telemetryService, Func`2 action, String failTelemetryMessage, ServiceErrorStatusCode statusCode, ExploreBaseEvent exploreEvent)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ModelMetadataProvider.<>c__DisplayClass5_0.<GetModelMetadata>b__1(ExploreBaseEvent timedEvent)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ExploreTelemetryService.<>c__DisplayClass4_0`1.<RunInActivity>b__0(ExploreBaseEvent activity)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ExploreTelemetryService.RunInActivity(String activityName, Action`1 action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ExploreTelemetryService.RunInActivity[T](String activityName, Func`2 action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ModelMetadataProvider.GetModelMetadata(ExploreHostDataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo, IDbConnectionPool connectionPool, IConnectionFactory connectionFactory, String modelMetadataVersion, Boolean ignoreTranslations, QueryExecutionOptionsBase queryExecutionOptions, IConnectionUserImpersonator connectionUserImpersonator, ITelemetryService telemetryService)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ReportingSession.GetModelString(String modelMetadataVersion, Nullable`1 ignoreTranslations)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ReportingSession.GetModelAsStream(String modelMetadataVersion, Nullable`1 ignoreTranslations)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ReportingSession.GetConceptualSchema(String modelMetadataVersion, Nullable`1 ignoreTranslations, ParseConceptualSchema parse, ModelDaxCapabilities& capabilities)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.Utils.ExploreHostUtils.GetConceptualSchemaImpl(IPowerViewHandler powerViewHandler, String databaseID, String maxModelMetadataVersion, Nullable`1 ignoreTranslations, ModelDaxCapabilities& capabilities)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.Utils.ExploreHostUtils.<>c__DisplayClass37_0.<GetConceptualSchemaAndHandleExceptions>b__0()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.Utils.ExploreHostUtils.HandleModelRetrievalExceptions[T](Func`1 wrappedCall, String databaseID, ServiceErrorStatusCode statusCode, FeatureSwitches featureSwitches)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.Utils.ExploreHostUtils.GetConceptualSchemaAndHandleExceptions(IPowerViewHandler powerViewHandler, String databaseID, String maxModelMetadataVersion, Nullable`1 ignoreTranslations, ModelDaxCapabilities& daxCapabilities)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.Utils.ExploreHostUtils.<>c__DisplayClass26_0.<TryGetConceptualSchema>b__0()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.Utils.ExploreHostUtils.TryGetStructureImpl[T](Int64 modelID, ServiceErrorExtractor extractor, Func`1 getStructure, Func`2 validateStructure, T& structure, ServiceError& serviceError)

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ErrorHostService.GetErrorDetails(ShowErrorDialogArgs args)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ErrorHostService.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<ShowErrorDialogCore>b__0()
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext.Send(SendOrPostCallback d, Object state)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.AllowModalDialogs(Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.HostServiceDispatcher.<>c__DisplayClass5_0.<ExecuteOnUIThread>b__0(Object t)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WindowManager.ShowModal[T](T dialog, Func`1 showModalFunction)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<Main>b__1()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19043.0 (x64 en-GB)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 528372]

Peak Virtual Memory:
103 GB

Private Memory:
680 MB

Peak Working Set:
692 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
4e10ba25-2a5f-4abd-86d3-66fd2f38be4e

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-GB, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

AS Live Connection:
True

Performance Trace Logs:
C:\Users\ivant\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\PerformanceTraces.zip

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_JsonTableInference
PBI_ImportTextByExample
PBI_ExcelTableInference
PBI_rdlNativeVisual

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_azureMapVisual
PBI_dataPointLassoSelect
PBI_compositeModelsOverAS
PBI_dynamicParameters
PBI_enhancedTooltips

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
200%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Formulas:

section Section1;

itpamp
Frequent Visitor

I deleted the Dataset, uploaded again the Excel file and build the flow and Power BI file from scratch, now it's working properly.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@itpamp maybe there is an issue with the excel file or the structure is changed. easier would be to open pbix in desktop, run refresh and see if it still works, you will get better error details on the desktop.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Check my latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thanks for your reply!

I have tried to refresh from desktop app but sadly the result is the same.

I know a workaround is to delete the Excel file, upload it again and renew the Dataset, but I'm trying to avoid this approach because it would force me to rebuild a good portion of my Power BI report.

Maybe I'm overlooking something?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.