Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

frano72
Helper IV
Helper IV

Dataset refresh - dimensions refresh but fact doesn't ?

Hi,

I have a model that has as its source a variety of dataflows for both the dimensions and the fact.

All these dataflows are set to refresh each day and I've confirmed that they are working by connecting via a fresh pbix file to check that new data appears in the dataflow.

When I publish my completed report to the service and start the daily dataset refresh - it is not being refreshed.  Their are no errors each day, but the data stays as the same data that was in the report when i published it.

I've checked the model and filters and there is nothing stopping it.  If i hit refresh in pbix desktop prior to publishing, it correctly connects to dataflows and retrieves all the right data.  But thats where it stops, never gets updated beyond that in coming days.

I connected via SSMS and see that the partition refresh date is updating for each dimension, BUT the fact table refresh date is the date of publishing to the service.  It is not getting refreshed via the scheduled dataset operation !

Any ideas ?  I might tried incremental datset refresh on the fact table see if that assists.

2021-10-27_8-27-05.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
frano72
Helper IV
Helper IV

I worked it out.  I scripted the table out in SSMS and found this :

"table": {
      "name": "Alarm Events",
      "excludeFromModelRefresh": true,
      "lineageTag": "d99bc856-70ee-4c78-8b7f-d7cde70009f3",
      "columns": [

The excludefrommodelrefresh pointed me the right way.  In power query i had inadvertently turned off "include in report refresh".  Time for a beer.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
frano72
Helper IV
Helper IV

I worked it out.  I scripted the table out in SSMS and found this :

"table": {
      "name": "Alarm Events",
      "excludeFromModelRefresh": true,
      "lineageTag": "d99bc856-70ee-4c78-8b7f-d7cde70009f3",
      "columns": [

The excludefrommodelrefresh pointed me the right way.  In power query i had inadvertently turned off "include in report refresh".  Time for a beer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.