Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jjohnson1990
Frequent Visitor

Dataset not available to connect to from Powerbi desktop

Hello,

I had published report and dataset to my organizational workspace, but i am not able to connect to the same dataset from

Get Data/ Powerbi/Power Bi dataset (nothing is visible). i am on Pro trial version currently. If i publish to my workspace, the datset is visible, but not from my organizational workspace 

p2.JPG

p1.jpg

I am the second user (report creator) having build, reshare permissions. what might be missing to get the dataset on power bi desktop?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I seem to have the same issue. Until yesterday, I was using live connection for multiple dashboards, referencing a dataset I published in the same workspace succesfully. However, I lost my pro licence from the organization and am back on a pro-trial version. Now I found out that I could not open any of the .pbix files with live connection anymore, stating that the 'dataset is unavailable'. Indeed, when I create a new .pbix file and look for datasets to connect with I can only view datasets in 'My workspace' or other manually created workspaces. The workspace that contains the dataset I want to connect to is not visible anymore, nor are any of the other workspaces which have a link with MS Teams.

Luckily I was able to open the reports again by swapping the connection file to a duplicate version of the dataset published to my workspace, but this is of course not the preferred way to go. 

Anybody able to say if this is due to the pro-trial version? Or is there something else going on? 

jjohnson1990
Frequent Visitor

pls help guys..

Hi @jjohnson1990 ,

Here's the limitations-and-considerations for live connection to Power BI dataset.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets#limitations...

Limitations and considerations

When using the Power BI service live connection, there are a few limitations and considerations to keep in mind.

• Only users with Build permission for a dataset can connect to a published dataset using the Power BI service live connection.

• Free users only see datasets in their My Workspace and in Premium-based workspaces.

• Since this connection is a live connection, left-navigation and modeling are disabled. You can only connect to one dataset in each report. This behavior is similar to the behavior when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.

• Since this connection is a live connection, row-level security (RLS) and other such connection behaviors are enforced. This is the same as when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.

• If the owner modifies the original shared .pbix file, the dataset and report that is shared in the Power BI service is overwritten. Reports based on that dataset aren't overwritten, but any changes to the dataset are reflected in the report.

• Members of a workspace can't replace the originally shared report. Attempts to do so result in a warning that prompts you to rename the file, and publish.

• If you delete the shared dataset in the Power BI service, then other reports based on that dataset will no longer work properly or display their visuals.

• For Content Packs, you must first create a copy of a content pack before using it as a basis for sharing a .pbix report and dataset to the Power BI service.

• For Content Packs from My Organization, once copied, you can't replace the report created on the service or a report created as part of copying a Content Pack with a live connection. Attempts to do so result in a warning that prompts you to rename the file, and publish. In this situation, you can only replace published live connected reports.

• Deleting a shared dataset in the Power BI service means no one can access that dataset any longer from Power BI Desktop.

• Reports that share a dataset on the Power BI service don't support automated deployments using the Power BI REST API.

I did some test but didn't find any problem. By the way, what's your organizational workspace?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Hello @v-jayw-msft ,thanks for replying back.

The organization workspace is called Jazeera airways and I am not the owner of the workspace,  however I created and uploaded the report and the dataset. I do indeed have build access.

One point made was that I am Pro trial user. Is that why I cannot see the dataset uploaded to organization workspace when trying to connect as get data in power bi desktop 

20200611_085914.jpg

@v-jayw-msft any word of advice as to above?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.