Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akj2784
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Dataset in Power BI Desktop using SSAS

Hi All,

I am using SQL Server Analysis Services to create data model in Power BI Desktop using import method.

I assume the data is in memory in SSAS. 

Just wanted to check what happens to data when we publish this model to Service. 

Can we publish the model back to SSAS so that the data doesnt go to cloud and when we access the dashboard from Service, the gets from SSAS in memory ?

Regards,

Akash

7 REPLIES 7
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @akj2784,

Could you please mark the proper answer as solution or share the solution if it's convenient for you? That will be a big help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

So basically when we import the tables from SSAS in Power BI Dekstop, it imports all the data to the file and when I publish it to the service the data also goes to cloud along with file and hence when I run the report, the data gets pulled from the cloud but not from in memory SSAS database and hence in this scenario we are not leveraging the in memory SSAS database.

Is this correct understanding as per your reply ?

Thank you for the the reply.

Hi @akj2784,

Totally right. In my opinion, the biggest advantage of Import mode is performance. We don't need to consider the bad bandwidth and the workload of the SSAS server. 

There are many solid evidences we can see the Import mode is working alone.

1. If we shutdown the SSAS server or close the network connection, the reports work fine.

2. The size of the pbix file (Power BI Desktop file).

3. We can use that file in a environment where we don't have access to the SSAS Server.

Dataset_in_Power_BI_Desktop_using_SSAS2

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I totally understand the benefit of import method but it will actually put the data in cloud and hence will consume cloud space. 

The thing is if we have SSAS in memory database we would like to leverage that so that we don't push all the data in cloud and keep the performance intact because it will fetch the data from in memory database.

So what I am looking for is, lets say I have created a model in power bi desktop by connecting to oracle db using import method.

Now I want to deploy that to SSAS so that I can leverage in memory database and I don't want to push the data to cloud.

Now sure if it is feasible .

Regards,

Akash

Hi Akash,

As far as I know, we can't deploy the PBI model to SSAS directly. The SSAS is also a powerful analysis tool. Why not using Direct query in Power BI? Most of work will be done in the SSAS database.

Best Regards,

Dale

Hi Dale,

I am trying to follow the below blog which has the steps to import the power bi model to SSAS. The only difference is I have SSAS 2017.

http://biinsight.com/import-power-bi-desktop-model-ssas-tabular-2016/

Also, whatever model I have already created using Oracle db, I don't want to waste that effort. So I am trying to deploy the already built model in SSAS.

Also,

with Live connection, when I try to connect to SSAS from Power BI Desktop, it doesnt give me flexiblity to model the tables in Power BI Desktop. It expects the model to be already built and deployed to SSAS.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Really appreciate your reply.

Regards,

Akash

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @akj2784,

The Import mode bring all the data into the Desktop file. The intuitive evidence is the size of the pbix file. You still can use it when the connection to SSAS is ended. 

When you publish such a file to the Service, you publish all the data in the file. You can check it out in the settings in the Service. 

Dataset_in_Power_BI_Desktop_using_SSAS

We can't publish the model back to SSAS. 

Please refer to: desktop-directquery-about#import-connections

Best Regards,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.