Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

petersi
Helper II
Helper II

Dataset from SQL Server source View - DateTime not read

When I create a Data Source off a SQL Server DB view that has DateTime fields -- the DateTime fields are not being read/brought in to the Dataset. Is there a reason for this? It can see the related DateTime field from the proginating table.

Update:

I found that the dataset was being created based on a previous access to the FB View that did not have the datetime cokumns. So the question now is -- how do you reset the DV connection to retrieve updates ? 

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @petersi,

If I understand it correctly, you already get data from the SQL view, and you want to change the data source to another SQL view within the same database, right?

You can open Query Edit via Edit Queries, then go to Advanced Editor, you can see the Power Query. You can replace the SQL view to specific one in the same database.

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

no that is not what I mean. I was referring to the fact that when I re created a dataset from a SQL Server View that was changed the dataset was only populated with the fields it identified from the original mapping. I.E. remaping (creating a new DB on original View) does not create all the associated columns.

I was able to get around this by preparing the dataset using an explicit SQL Query. Automatic mapping did not work.

@petersi wrote:

no that is not what I mean. I was referring to the fact that when I re created a dataset from a SQL Server View that was changed the dataset was only populated with the fields it identified from the original mapping. I.E. remaping (creating a new DB on original View) does not create all the associated columns.

I was able to get around this by preparing the dataset using an explicit SQL Query. Automatic mapping did not work.

Hi @petersi,

I can't get your point totally now. Could you please describe the issue more detail? How did you create original view and FB view? What's the relationship between those views? And what's the explicit SQL Query get data from, original view or FB view? etc...

Please share more information with some screenshots for us to understand the issue clearly.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I do not know what you are referring wrt FB. As I stated - the dataset that was built did not retreive all the columns from the originating data source (and were included in the data retrieval query on the orignating source). What I need to know is how is a dataset updated to reflect the current state of the query results.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.