Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dataset and Total Data

Hi all, I went online an searched for Data Limits of Power BI pro and Power BI Premim but I'm getting confused.

Here's the problem that I have:

In our database there are 10 tables that are 5 gb each. All the tables have same columns/attributes. They are just storing multiple scenarios for a business process.

I saw that Power BI pro user can only import 1gb  per dataset to Power BI. (10gb in total)
Is the dataset referring to 1 table that can be imported?

Let's consider only 1 table that is 5 gb for now. Can following be a solution?
For example, if in the database I run a query to divide 5 gb table such that the tables are less than 1 gb each (say 6 tables) and I import those 6 tables one by one. I can do two things after this:

1. create an index table and link all 6 table in one Data Model or 
2. Append the 6 tables into one table.

If I do any of the above, will I be able build visualization and publish the report in Power BI Services given that the limit is 10 gb in total?

If the way I'm thinking to deal with this doesn't work, what will be the ideal solution to deal with this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Specifically, Power BI leverages the xVelocity compression engine and works on a columnstore in-memory technology. In-memory columnstore technology compresses data and stores it in a compressed format.

When using import mode, the size of the model is limited. Your power bi (or file) model cannot exceed 1 GB. Typically, the maximum account capacity is 10 GB, but the maximum capacity per file must be 1 GB.

When you are using import mode to publish reports, the pbix file exceeds the limit, then you need to consider the direct query mode.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Specifically, Power BI leverages the xVelocity compression engine and works on a columnstore in-memory technology. In-memory columnstore technology compresses data and stores it in a compressed format.

When using import mode, the size of the model is limited. Your power bi (or file) model cannot exceed 1 GB. Typically, the maximum account capacity is 10 GB, but the maximum capacity per file must be 1 GB.

When you are using import mode to publish reports, the pbix file exceeds the limit, then you need to consider the direct query mode.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.